Win7 takes forever. White screen 20 seconds, then slow load, then hang getting into

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dothedru22, Feb 8, 2010.

1. dothedru22 macrumors newbie

I have a 17" Unibody Macbook pro

2.8ghz core 2 duo
    4 gig of ram
    7200 rpm drive.

My mac book takes a good 3 minutes to load Windows 7.

Windows 7 is the only os on the mac. Is there a way to bypass the white screen when loading. It also get's hung after the login screen. Here is a video.

It's been doing the white screen since I've installed windows 7. The hang after login is more recent. I did a fresh install a couple months ago.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc5taa_slow-windows-7-boot-on-macbook-pro_tech

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. dothedru22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that thanks. I don't know if this will get rid of the white screen though.

4. sporkland macrumors newbie

I'm hqvingmthis same problem and resettingmthe smc doesn't seem to help

5. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Do you have any peripherals, dongles, USB devices connected?

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I've the same model. Mid-2009, 17" MBP, 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM...

Except I replaced my 5400RPM HDD with a 80GB SDD (Intel X25-M) and opted to install only Windows 7 (64-bit, Pro) due to space issues.

I have the same "white screen for 30 seconds" problem, but once the thing actually boots all is well. Doing command-option-P-R does have the white screen go away sooner, but that is supplanted by a black screen and the OS eventually appears (after about another minute, possibly less). cmd-opt-P-R did help to an extent, at least from my POV...

Seems a tad slow for a SSD, but it's only the bootup and I've other tests to make before confirming there's an actual problem... post-boot is zooming super-cool fast to be sure...

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

UPDATE:

Doing a stopwatch check, starting the moment as the power-on "boing" *ends*, it takes 2 minutes, 50 seconds, to boot from that moment to the Win7 login prompt.

The original 5400RPM drive took less time.

Post-boot is far snappier, no question, but something is amiss.

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

GREAT point.

I found I still had an external drive connected to mine. (Earlier I used Win7's disk clone tool, which failed because Windows thought the SSD was a USB drive :rolleyes: ) So I'm opting to just do a fresh install.

Removing the external drive, boot time is still the same for the white screen (39.2 seconds) but then 20 seconds to boot Win7. 39.2 seconds still seems a tad long, but 1 minute net is nothing to cry about either...

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'm just throwing this in, by no means I want to offend someone here!

There are illegal copies of Win7 that have a considerably longer boot time than a legit copy, so if someone runs an illegal copy, the troubleshooting might be finished.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Oh my... :eek:

(No, I'm not offended :D )

My copy is 100% legal...

But I did find out AHCI is disabled by default. :mad: I've just started looking for ways to enable AHCI, if possible. The SSD is fast on its own, but anything to really make proper use OF the hardware is always so much the better...