Win7 thru Parallels: 3D Graphics question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by VeridisQuo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. VeridisQuo macrumors newbie

I am currently using a 2012 Mac Mini with the 2.3Ghz Quad core i7 Ivy bridge. I've been using Parallels 8 to run Win7 on it for some light gaming through it. While the graphics have been surprisingly well through a virtual machine, on a mac mini that only has the HD4000 integrated graphics, I'm curious if (graphics wise) games would run any better on a iMac with its own graphics card?

I'm not very familiar with how Virtual video adapters work within a virtual machine, still pretty new to the virtual machine world, so I have no idea if running it on a machine with dedicated graphics would improve performance at all. I have the opportunity to get a new 2012 iMac, and would only do it if can get better graphics thru the virtual windows. I'm not interested in Bootcamp as I wanna still use OS X and this is my first mac and I'm loving OS X, only wanna use Windows for a few programs and not as a main machine anymore.

Basically what I'm asking is, does the host graphics make any sort of difference to the virtual machine's graphics? If I do upgrade to an iMac, I plan on getting a 2012 one with the i7. Thanks for any info!

SIDENOTE: I have played around with different VM settings, even upping it to 6cores, 8GB RAM and 1GB video memory, with no real improvements.

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yes, it would make a difference.

The virtual graphics card translates the VM's graphics calls into OpenGL calls on the host, so it's directly effected by how fast the host can process OpenGL.

3. VeridisQuo thread starter macrumors newbie

In that case, do you think going from the 2.3ghz i7 with 8 virtual cores integrated graphics to the 2.7 i5 in the base iMac with the GT640M, would effect performance since I would only have 4 cores to use?

When testing, giving the VM 2 cores, 4, or even 6, there was no performance difference. Had the same FPS in all 3 tests, even less FPS when I tried anything with Win8. I assume I shouldn't worry about giving the VM 2 cores on the i5 with the much better dedicated graphics? May not be able to get the i7 since I'll have to get 16GB built in, as I don't wanna tear that thing completly apart just to upgrade the RAM with 16GB I already have, but I may go for the base 27", since I can upgrade its RAM, but only with the i5 processor.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I wouldn't have thought the extra hyperthreaded cores would make much difference to that sort of use, mostly things like video encoding that benefit a lot from them.

5. VeridisQuo thread starter macrumors newbie