Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
baseline.png

Initial baseline.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Would you still be interested in a win7 UEFI install?

I'm using a 2011 15" MBP. I have discrete AMD graphics, but I don't have 3D acceleration. The Intel GPU is disabled, but when enabled it causes a black screen. The system doesn't crash though.

I'm interested in trying Win7, but not before I can (hopefully) activate the Intel GPU on Windows 8.

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
1 step closer

I had success getting Windows 7 install 1st part of installation. On reboot i get black screen and CPU automatically reboots after 5 seconds.

Download W7UEFI Timeline.pdf for step-by-step screenshots of what i did. There are few steps that are not necessary going forward.

Need some advice on how to get 2nd part of installation finish.

ZCpdR93r

EFI Folder after installation incase anyone wants to take look. Apple EFI is MacPro 2010 Quad-Core x 2

FYI - i do have d3vi1 EFI 03252012 binary. If VGA is issue.

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I read a post on severn forums:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installa...ng-usb-start-up-corrupted-win-8-cp-setup.html

The person is using P7P55D (which doesn't have onboard video, as far as I can tell), and an nvidia card. Start reading at post #4.

gregrocker said:
You may need to take this to http://www.eightforums.com where they are already gathering the expertise on these Installation workarounds for the OS.

But for this type of failure during Windows 7 install I would enter Device Manager during install to uninstall any Devices in error - most often Display driver - to see if installation will complete and then update driver from Desktop.

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
I read a post on severn forums:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installa...ng-usb-start-up-corrupted-win-8-cp-setup.html

The person is using P7P55D (which doesn't have onboard video, as far as I can tell), and an nvidia card. Start reading at post #4.

Windows 8 installs without slip streaming any drivers on my Mac Pro. In past when i use bootcamp to install windows 7, my resolution would be off until i updated drivers and i would still have video. Since im booting ACHI, you think matrix Intel drivers are needed?

I guess im going to slip stream Nvidia, Apple 64bit Bootcamp & Intel Drivers from bootcamp. Try again & see what happens .

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
To enable VGA I use the following command:
Shell> mm 0001003E -PCI 8

I've booted with the AMD GPU disabled and the Intel GPU enabled. However, I still see the "not enough resources" error message.

Ideas anyone?

Last edited:

mac-hacks

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Swimming In Tsunami
I give up, i've tried ever trick in book to get 2nd part for W7 to install. Same Black Screen!!!

- Slip-Streaming drivers cause 1sp part of Install to error.
- When i tried to add Nvidia Drivers from W8 installation Menu i get "Contact Dev. for updated drivers" Which I now realize i was using W7 drivers from W8 boot.wim "I'll try W8 drivers, then im threw if it doesn't wotk"
- Grub2 did not work, black screen
- Selecting W7 Folder from OSX System Pref, i get blinking "_" in top left corner
- Inserting W7.iso in Optical Bay & not pressing "any key" to boot DVD hoping it would use it's content which I'm missing to boot 2nd part of installation did not work. I get blinking "_" top right Corner
- Using rEFIne/tools/shell.efi to disable graphics and launch bootx64.efi wouldn't even boot, i kept getting errors...

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Seems possible on a 2009 Macbook Pro:

https://vimeo.com/39182347

I cannot reproduce this on my Mac Pro.

That's pretty cool. That's you? :D You look like the Terminator... we only see a glowing red eye...
I see you have Aero enabled, which means you have accelerated graphics. Setting the registers correctly is what I can't seem to do and I think that's my problem right now.

Last edited:

DaGr8Gatzby

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
GREAT NEWS! 2009 MP cannot efi boot windows 8. However, going over to the netkas forum, there is a utility for updating 2009 to 2010 firmware. This updates the SMC boot. Ode because now my EFI boots are working from Windows 8. I will try the same method in my vimeo link. If it works, I will release the procedure.

DaGr8Gatzby

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
Success. I was able to get EFI boots working on my Mac Pro between both OS X and Windows 7 on the same drive. I will be posting a tutorial tomorrow. I need to cruise the vista right now. :mad:

cupofcocoa

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Success. I was able to get EFI boots working on my Mac Pro between both OS X and Windows 7 on the same drive. I will be posting a tutorial tomorrow. I need to cruise the vista right now. :mad:

Freakin' A! I was just about going to ask what the hell I was doing wrong since I have read success stories of win8 in EFI on the Mac Pro. I'll do the same and see if I get the same results - for science!

(Also: you guys are awesome)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.