WinAmp equivalent for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tianuk3, Dec 2, 2007.

1. tianuk3 macrumors member

Hey Guys

Well my new macbook should arrive tomorrow, I was wondering is there a good low memory usage music player like winamp on the mac? I dont really want to use itunes or quicktime, but i want to be able to customise it (equaliser, themes.etc). Any suggestions!? thanks

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Seriously, please give iTunes a try.

You can't give it themes like you can Winamp, but it's got an equaliser, and it's memory usage won't give you a problem on a new Mac.

IMO, it is truly the best tool for managing and playing your music on the planet, and by some margin.

SL

EDIT: And check out Synergy. It's a plugin that makes iTunes even better. Inexpensive but not free.

3. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

agreed.

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I concur.. iTunes is a great application. If you don't like iTunes, try VLC.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, there really isn't anything good on the Mac besides iTunes. Cog and Songbird are both very very early in development, and mostly crap. Give iTunes a shot. It's different, but it's really good.

6. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

itunes is alright, but for somebody who wants something that isn't a resource hog and doesn't take up the entire screen then I'm afraid you're sunk

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well; except for VLC of course.

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

iTunes is great. There are some useful Widgets that you and install that integrate with iTunes. Just do a search for new Widgets after you get your new Mac. The new Macs are FAST and I haven't noticed any resource problems while running iTunes. I play World of Warcraft and the game has an interface that allows you to access your music using iTunes while you are playing. I haven't noticed any gaming differences while playing music via iTunes or when I am not playing music.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

9. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

iTunes for music management! I guess there's VLC, mplayer... switch?

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Entire screen? Can anyone say compact mode?

WinAmp is iTunes for windows users. Personally I stopped using it in Windows many years ago.

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Synergy lets you control iTunes from simple controls in the right hand side of the menu bar.

Perfection.

SL

12. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

ByteController does the same thing and is completely free.

13. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Even better then!

I'd check it out if I hadn't already paid for Synergy 3 years ago!

SL

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm iffy on iTunes myself - it keeps adding duplicates to my library, and I'm constantly having to update / correct it.

Winamp was nice, it did everything I wanted and then some. Miss that App from my previous life.

I have nothing but praise to sing about VLC - not as sexy interface-wise as Winamp - but it plays EVERYTHING, and you don't need to hunt codecs every 10 seconds.

The more I've used it - the more powerful I've found it to be.

www.videolan.org

15. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

On the topic of controlling iTunes from anywhere, for those who use Quicksilver, try the iTunes plugin and you can set up your own custom keyboard shortcuts for playback/volume controls, song ratings, etc...

Back on topic, I admit I miss Winamp for 1) one-off audio file playback and 2) plug-ins for console chiptune playback. I enjoyed it back in the day, but now that I have a music collection, I like iTunes for the organization.

16. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions

Guess Im going to have to try and love Itunes then.. i hated it on the PC thought :-(
    Only one problem ..its true that itunes doesnt support LAME and .ogg files right?

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

LAME is just an MP3 encoder so of course iTunes supports it. As for OGG files you want to download the latest unstable version of Max to convert them to either MP3 or AAC.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

18. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

Ooops sorry meant FLAC not LAME... cheers for the link..will try it when i get my mac... (hurry up apple!!!)

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can use Max to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless so you can keep your audio in CD quality. It won't lose quality.

20. Yvan256 macrumors 601

If you have MOD/S3M/XM/etc files, you can try out CoCoModX.

21. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

yeah just stick with iTunes. i hated it too, but once i started using it, i realized it's a very good program. i use VLC for everything that won't play in iTunes and Quicktime, but now that i upgraded to Pro, i can pretty much do anything.

22. numlock macrumors 68000

theres cog and toolplayer as well. toolplayer is pretty nice but it still dosent have a playlist editor

23. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You can get ogg files working in itunes, just go to xiph and download their component. That will allow you to play all ogg files, even in Quicktime. As far as FLAC goes, Max will quickly convert them into ALAC.