WinAmp type program for Macintosh??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SandersHokie, May 19, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a WinAmp type program for the Macintosh? Are there any that are real good? Or should I just continue to use iTunes?

thanks.

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

err.. i'd go with iTunes :D

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

just curious, why? I thought WinAmp programs took up less memory than itunes? I'm always looking for the best thing, and was just curious if a WinAmp type program would be better than iTunes.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

iTunes FTW, unless there are Winamp features which you prefer in which case check out Cog.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is a decent looking iTunes competitor called Songbird in the works, but now it is too buggy...its made by Mozilla (the people behind Firefox and Thunderbird)

It will have plug-ins and skins (called feathers) if that is what you're looking for.

I'm not so keen on how clunky iTunes feels, but fortunately I have Quicksilver to control it for me :) This is done using the iTunes plug-in...

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Personally i think they way Quicksilver works with iTunes is hell of a lot slower than using sizzling keys. For example i have F2 as previous track F3 as next track etc. so much quicker and less obtrusive than bringing up Quicksilver.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have tried that, and personally I found with my library that it was really slow, though this was almost a year ago now.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The Quicksilver iTunes plug-in is really fast for me on a macbook 2.0GHz with 1GB RAM, and with Sizzling keys, I can't just type to search (I have to press return at the end), I like how QS resets my search after a specified time (0.6 seconds for me), and how I can search one word and use the arrow keys to navigate through the options...

I also already have QS running, so its not like its slowing my machine down anymore, while having Sizzling keys would a bit :)

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well if must be even quicker for me then on my iMac 2.16 with 2GB RAM:D

I really want to give quicksilver all responsibilities but it is far too buggy and my current setup covers most of what i want quicksilver to do anyway.

10. Winterfell macrumors regular

Cog is the closest media player to Winamp that I've yet found on the Mac. I don't like iTunes, so I use Cog.

I just wish Winamp would make a Mac port already. :p

11. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, I have Cog installed to try out anything I wanna play that I don't want to add to my iTunes library. Works good for that.

iTunes FTW, though. :cool:

12. NJuul macrumors 6502

I think you can use WinAmp with CrossOver, if you really, really want to use it...

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Indeed you can, I use CrossOver with Winamp 2.95. Works (almost) perfectly, at least for my needs :D

14. Morris macrumors regular

Yes, Cog. Or you could try Play.

15. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I know this is off-topic, but how do you have your QS setup?

I use QS to control my iTunes the same way SizzlingKeys does, only through QS I have it setup as a trigger. No need to invoke QS to use it.

For good measure, I have my Next/Previous track setup to be Ctrl+Cmd+Left/Right Arrow, and Play/Pause setup to Ctrl+Cmd+Down Arrow.

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Is iTunes not sufficient for you? It's fine to seek out better alternatives, but, unless there's something Winamp has that you want, why bother? Does it really matter these days if iTunes takes up a little more RAM?