Winblows XP Partiton

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hustle, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

*Sorry about the title*

I use Bootcamp to run Windows XP on my Macbook, and the Windows XP shows on my desktop like the Macbook HardDrive does. Is there a way to not show the Windows XP Partition on my desktop.

See the image below, the Untitled is the Windows XP partition. I don't want that to show there.

I can't find it and i cant delete it. :(

[​IMG]

2. mainomega macrumors 6502

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

put a period "." infront of the name. if it wont let you, download tinkertool and turn on "show hidden system files" and see if that works.

4. triddent222 macrumors regular

Any of the above suggestions would work, or you could just drop the hard drive to the trash (eject the drive if you will). Of course, the drive would pop up every time you restart your system. I like this way better though, because if you ever use VMware Fusion, you wont be able to use your existing Boot Camp partition if you name it ".Windows" or something like that.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Finder > Preferences > Uncheck Hard Disks to show up on desktop

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

But won't that remove both drive icons from the Desktop? I think the OP just wanted to have the Windows partition hidden while in OS X.

Cheers,

7. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Yup that removes all HD icons off the desktop. Its more of a last resort method if all else fails.

8. Maccleduff macrumors regular

You can rename the Windows hard drive when you are booted into windows, so that at least it isn't called "Untitled".

9. kolax macrumors G3

As Maccleduff said, rename it when logged into XP to something like "Windows HD".

I like having a few hard drive icons, makes my lappy seem better than it is haha.