Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitaminthought

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
I'm sure this is really simple, but I've googled for hours, and can't find the answer. My Mac Pro setup is as follows:

The stock (250GB, I believe) hard drive has both a Windows & Mac partition on it. These work fine.

I installed a new 500GB hard drive, for the purpose of copying the XP partition onto. After installing the drive, I used the Boot Camp utility to format it. From there, I used WinClone to make and image of the existing XP partition, and then I dumped it onto the new hard drive. All seemed to go well.

There were no errors in the Winclone log.

Once that was complete, I selected the new drive under 'System Preferences/Startup Disk'. After rebooting, I get the following error "Windows could not read from the selected boot disk. Check booth path and disk hardware."

I believe since the image was dumped onto a different hard drive, there needs to be some changes made to the boot.ini file. Problem is, I don't know what.

I've been tinkering with it for about an hour, and no luck.

Can anyone help?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
OK your boot.ini should look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

If you are using a second disk you need to change the disk(0) values to disk(1). Some configurations need you to change the rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) instead but that's easy to try out and see which one works.

If your previous setup had XP on the second partition you may have partition(2) which would need to be changed to partition(1).

Whatever changes you make in the [boot loader] section need to be replicated in the [operating systems] section too.

Edit: Or paste you boot.ini here and I'll take a peek for you.

vitaminthought

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
OK your boot.ini should look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

If you are using a second disk you need to change the disk(0) values to disk(1). Some configurations need you to change the rdisk(0) to rdisk(1) instead but that's easy to try out and see which one works.

If your previous setup had XP on the second partition you may have partition(2) which would need to be changed to partition(1).

Whatever changes you make in the [boot loader] section need to be replicated in the [operating systems] section too.

Edit: Or paste you boot.ini here and I'll take a peek for you.

I ended up running bootcfg /rebuild from the recovery console because NO combination of what you suggested above got it working. Still, I had issues with Windows freezing, so I ended up wiping the partition clean, and reinstalling everything. It was a pain in the ass, but I'm finally done.

Thanks for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.