winclone can't work with win7 bootcamp partition - solutions?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by supern0va, Dec 8, 2010.

1. supern0va macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a bootcamp partition (Win 7 Ultimate, 32bit) in my mid-09 13" macbook pro that I used winclone to make a copy of; and i recovered this parition in my bootcamp partition in my late-09 27" imac.

However, I could not boot into Windows using bootcamp nor vmware. I tried to insert my Win7 CD to fix the problem but Windows does not read the CD. Instead, I continue to get an error msg.

Any suggestions pls? Preferably I don't have to reinstall Win7 from scratch. Thks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Step back please. You've moved Windows from one set of hardware to another which is always tricky.

How did you create the new BootCamp partition in your iMac? BCA? Disk Utility?

What do you get when you reboot and hold Alt/Option? Does Windows show up at all? How does it not boot? can you select it, but it just hangs, do you get a BSOD, or other error message.

Startup repair is done by booting from the Windows 7 disc, not within Windows so I don't understand what you mean by "Windows does not read the CD"

Again: Winclone was designed to restore images to the same computer they were made on. While you may be able to recover, you should not have expected this to work in the first place.

B

3. supern0va thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for not making this clear.
    Partition is created using bootcamp assistant. Windows show up when I hold down the option button on start-up. But it can't load windows, and just reaches the "do u want to boot in safe mode?" screen upon resetting.
    If possible I want to do start-up repair, but the read flow is such that it does not read the CD... keeps going to the "do u want to boot in safe mode?" screen.
    Any help? Thks! :)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try this. Boot your Mac with no CD in the drive. Get to the boot menu with Alt/Option. Insert the CD. Select the CD. Press any key when prompted to boot from CD.

I suspect you are not pressing the any key during CD boot.

Somehow you're going to have to run sysprep to force it to forget the old hardware config.

B

5. supern0va thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thks very much. I will go try and report back.

6. supern0va thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried...
    They system read that the ver I have in my mac is a "Vista Business Ultimate". However, the image I copied from is a Win 7 Ultimate, and was a clean install so there is no previous copy of Windows inside.
    The DVD is unable to repair the start-up problem...
    Any other possible solution before I do a clean reinstall? Thks.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's probably not worth wasting time trying to get this to work if the easy stuff didn't work. As I said earlier this is NOT what Winclone was meant to do.

B