Winclone Error 5

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by njvitek, Jul 30, 2011.

1. njvitek macrumors newbie

I recently backed up my computer, backed up my Bootcamp partition with Winclone, and then upgraded the harddrive. I have reinstalled all the data, and made another partition for Bootcamp through the Bootcamp Assistant, but when I have gone to restore the Winclone partition it fails. I first thought that the problem was that the size of the partition was too small, so I made it 5 gigs bigger than the Winclone partition (which is 50 gigs, so the new partition is 55 gigs). Still wouldn't work. I thought the problem was that I was restoring from a portable drive, so I moved the image over to my desktop and tried to restore there, and still it doesn't work. The error I routinely get is Error 5. Also, I can mount the partition through Winclone, so the image doesn't appear to be damaged.

Here is my log from Winclone

Sat Jul 30 09:38:57 EDT 2011: '/Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources/winclone.perl' -restore -copy_bcd '/Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources/BCD' -disk_device /dev/disk0 -ntfs_partition /dev/disk0s3 -v -update_bootini -q -image_dir='/Users/Nicholas/Desktop/Bootcamp Clone 7.16.2011.winclone' -gptrefresh_path='/Applications/Winclone.app/Contents/Resources' -ntfstools_dir=/Library/NTFSProgs >> ~/Library/Logs/Winclone.log 2>&1 &
    restoring.....
    getting fdisk info.....
    validating partition type.....
    checking image size.....
    image size file exists, opening.....
    reading image file.../Users/Nicholas/Desktop/Bootcamp Clone 7.16.2011.winclone/size..
    read image file.../Users/Nicholas/Desktop/Bootcamp Clone 7.16.2011.winclone/size..
    done calculating..
    done checking size..
    checking format of image..
    We have NTFS..
    Unmounting /dev/disk0s3
    /usr/sbin/diskutil unmount "/dev/disk0s3"return value of unmount is 0

==============mounting disk image==============
    /usr/bin/hdiutil attach -nomount "/Users/Nicholas/Desktop/Bootcamp Clone 7.16.2011.winclone/Windows.dmg"

disk device is /dev/disk3
    =====restoring image from disk image=============

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk3 1>&2
    ntfsclone v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    ERROR(5): Opening '/dev/disk3' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk3 1>&2 is 256

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk3 1>&2 did not complete successfully
    cleaning up: Mounting Disk
    Volume BOOTCAMP on /dev/disk0s3 mounted
    Sat Jul 30 09:39:02 EDT 2011

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm on my iPhone so I can't help too much. The problem seems to be that your DMG is not being recognized as NTFS. Can you mount it manually In Terminal and debug from there?

B

3. njvitek, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

njvitek thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not too familiar with Terminal. I backed up the partition through Winclone without any problems (I don't recall if I had it formated at NTSF), so if it would back up the partition, shouldn't I be able to restore it? I can mount the dmg through Winclone, so I am confused as to how this is a stumbling block.

in the log Disk03, is the drive that I want to restore the partition to. It looks to me that the dmg is NTSF. The boot camp partition where I want to restore the partition to is in FAT (because that's what Bootcamp partitioned it to be). Do I need to format the bootcamp partition to NTSF before restoring?