Winclone Error when trying to resize Bootcamp.

emilaga151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
So I tried following this tutorial to resize my bootcamp partition to add more space. I got to the very end where you need to do a restore, the winclone file mounts just fine but when I restore with the partition I get an error. The Log is attached.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Winclone isn't abandonware anymore. So, on Lion I'd recommend starting with Winclone 3.x http://twocanoes.com/winclone/ not free, but supported once again.

Code:
/usr/bin/hdiutil attach  -nomount "/Users/emilagarunov/Desktop/Win7.winclone/Windows.dmg"

disk device is /dev/disk2
=====restoring image from disk image=============

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3"  /dev/disk2 1>&2
ntfsclone v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
ERROR(16): Opening '/dev/disk2' as NTFS failed: Resource busy
Something is grabbing /dev/disk2 (your winclone image) after it is attached. Likely suspects are backup utilities, anti-virus, etc...

You could try running
Code:
/usr/bin/hdiutil attach  -nomount "/Users/emilagarunov/Desktop/Win7.winclone/Windows.dmg"
lsof /dev/disk2
from Terminal to see what process is grabbing it.

B

emilaga151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Im actually running on 10.6, I just figured the tutorial would also apply to Snow Leopard.

I also ran what you asked, here is the response

emilagarunov$ /usr/bin/hdiutil attach -nomount "/Users/emilagarunov/Desktop/Win7.winclone/Windows.dmg"
Checksumming whole disk (Windows_NTFS : 0)…
whole disk (Windows_NTFS : 0): verified CRC32 $7B764C37
verified CRC32 $29774965
/dev/disk2
MacBook-Pro-2:~ emilagarunov$ lsof /dev/disk2

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That didn't report /dev/disk2 as busy, so it may just be that whatever is grabbing /dev/disk2 is only doing so temporarily.

You could try running the next step manually too. i.e. run Winclone until it dies. then:

Code:
"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3"  /dev/disk2
If that works all you would need to do beyond that is a few more things to make it bootable.

B

emilaga151

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
So I ran Winclone until it gave me the usual error to check my logs. Then I went into terminal and got this response

Code:
/dev/disk2          	                               	/Volumes/Untitled 1
MacBook-Pro-2:~ emilagarunov$ "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3"  /dev/disk2