Winclone Having Errors at 81%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idle0095, Aug 5, 2008.

1. idle0095 macrumors member

Im useing Winclone to image my xp parition so i can transfer it to my new hard drive. When it gets to 81% it errors out. Anyway around this? Here is the error in the log

hdiutil: create failed - Input/output error
    return value of hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Users/kabebe/Desktop/Untitled.winclone/Windows" 1>&2 is 256

hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Users/kabebe/Desktop/Untitled.winclone/Windows" 1>&2 did not complete successfully
    cleaning up: Mounting Disk
    Volume XP DRIVE on /dev/disk0s3 mounted

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If people know the answer they will respond, no need to keep bumping. :rolleyes:

What is the size of the partition, how much disk space do you have, have you run disk verification in XP to make sure there are no issues in it?

3. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

size of parition is 32gb. i ran the chkdsk in windows and all that. found no errors.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Chkdsk doesn't find physical disk errors; have Apple run a deep HDD test to test for sector damages and if those sectors can be recovered.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I thought you can do a desk verification by going to the disk Properties->Tools->Check Now and have it scan for bad sectors as well in XP.

6. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

i have done a disk check a very deep one and it gets to 77% then errors out through windows. so at this point im gonna just reinstall the boot camp.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Might be a good idea to reformat the windows partition and reinstall windows. Sounds like you have some issues with it if the windows disk repair can't finish.

8. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

First I've heard of this. How do I do it?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depends what kind of a computer; Macs you can use Drive Genius and they have a integrity check or something like that. For all other computers I use Spin Rite.

Either way it's a slow process. They use data from neighbor sectors and parity bits to try to recover the data from the physically damaged sector. If it's broken they will just mark as bad and it will not be used again. Even if it's recovered, sometimes the program will move the block.