WinClone Replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickeames, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

I have a new iMac on the way next week and I'm preparing my old one for sale. I want to backup my BOOTCAMP partition so I don't have to start over again from scratch. I see the WinClone has died -- what is the latest way to clone your partitions like this?

2. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I'm curious too. Winclone worked perfectly for me through 10.6.8. Now with Lion, it says it doesn't run. Sure hope an alternative arises!

3. dirkpostma macrumors newbie

There is an easy workaround, which I provide "as is":

temporaryly edit the file /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist. This is a plaintext file. Replace "10.7" with "10.6". Then, WinClone will start without complaining. After using WinClone, change it back to 10.7 (Lion).

Make sure you don't save as ".txt". If textedit does that, rename the file to a ".plist"-file.

Good luck!

4. patpres, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

patpres macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice - which works as described except for one problem - when trying to change the plist file back in text edit - I get an error message saying that the operation REQUIRES 10.7. Ugh. I'm stuck - any help appreciated. I'm thinking I may be able to do something from the command line but it's many years since using VI or Pico under unix. If anyone can provide some direction I would really appreciate it. thanks.

NEW INFO!!
    Well, things were simpler than I expected. I re-edited the file using Notepad in Windows, then went back onto the Mac side and pasted. That works fine. I was worried I was going to have to re-install Lion, but all is well.

Just a further note - I used the Windows backup utility in Win 7 to backup the bootcamp partition. It says all went well, but haven't had the nerve to try restoring YET. Has anyone else tried this method - including restore. It would mean being able to leave Winclone behind or at least until an update to Winclone arrives. At any rate, nice to see that MS has added a partition backup to Win 7