Winclone restore 100%, partition won't mount

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by marikavs, Jul 10, 2011.

1. marikavs macrumors member

After I got a new (bigger) drive to replace the one that died I had no trouble restoring the Snow Leopard backup. Then I created a new (also bigger than before) partition from the BC Assistant which was automatically named BOOTCAMP. Then I tried to restore to it through Winclone.app (2.2). On the first try my external HD froze at 60-some percent. I suspected the FW hub so I plugged the FW drive in directly and tried again on top of the old failed install. That time the restore was successful (100%) but the drive (partition) wouldn't mount. The drive was now renamed BootCampXP just like before. I suspected it was wrong to restore on top of a failed restore, so I started over from scratch, recreating the drive partition from BC Assistant again. (I've skipped a few boring steps here, like all the restarts and repartitionings to single partition by BC Assistant.) However, the drive (once again named BootCampXP) still won't mount and I don't know what to make of the error messages:

INITIAL MESSAGE:
    "NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk0s3
    at /Volumes/BootCampXP because the following
    problem occurred:

ntfs_mst-post_read_fixup: magic: 0x00000000
    size: 4096 usa_ofs: 0 usa_count: 65535: Invalid
    argument
    Actual VCN (0x0) of index buffer is different from
    expected VCN (0x5).
    Failed to mount '/dev/rdisk0s3': Input/output
    error
    NTSF is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware
    fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run
    chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice..." [and a whole lot more…]

FROM DISK UTILITY: [along with another instance of the previous message]
    "Mount failed
    The disk "BootCampXP" could not be mounted.
    Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry
    mounting."

FROM TERMINAL:
    "ntfsfix /dev/disk0s3
    Mounting volume... Error opening partition device : Permission denied
    Failed to startup volume : Permission denied
    FAILED
    Attempting to correct errors... Error opening partition device : Permission denied
    FAILED
    Failed to startup volume : Permission denied
    Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk."

FROM WINCLONE LOG:
    "Syncing ...
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -O "/dev/disk0s3" /dev/disk2 1>&2 is 0

=====unmounting disk image==============

/usr/bin/hdiutil detach /dev/disk2
    return value of /usr/bin/hdiutil detach /dev/disk2 is 0

"disk2" unmounted.
    "disk2" ejected.
    Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount
    destination_path is
    Unmounting /dev/disk0s3
    /usr/sbin/diskutil unmount "/dev/disk0s3"return value of unmount is 256

output is disk0s3 was already not mounted

=====expanding=====

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsresize" -f -f "/dev/disk0s3"
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsresize" -f -f "/dev/disk0s3" is 256

ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    ERROR(5): Opening '/dev/disk0s3' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
    and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.
    "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsresize" -f -f "/dev/disk0s3" did not complete successfully
    cleaning up: Mounting Disk
    Volume on disk0s3 failed to mount"

If I can't get the drive/partition to mount I can't very well run chkdsk.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get Windows XP back in BootCamp? (Can't reinstall - disc stored too far away.)
    Would somebody please help! Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you still have the original smaller drive? Does that still boot if made internal?

If so, boot from that and CHKDSK it. Then make a new image.

B

3. marikavs thread starter macrumors member

No original drive

Thanks balamw. I remember you know what you're talking about!

I'm afraid that's not possible. The drive that died was sent back under warranty for replacement. It didn't even show in Disk Utility. Only, the replacement they sent me was defective! Two fruitless*) trips to the Apple Store. So I bought the bigger one that I'm trying to restore to now.

Can you tell what's wrong from the messages I included? Do you need more that I might have to be able to tell? I find it scary that you suggest a chkdsk and re-image... (Which I can't do anyway.)

*) Maybe not so fruitless after all as the second time they thoroughly checked out my MacBook, which passed with flying colors. That time the new drive showed in Disk Utility intermittently so I thought I had put it in wrong.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm afraid that the problem is "baked" into your image, and since a real chkdsk won't run from anything other than Windows you may be out of luck.

Do you have enough bandwidth to download an official W7 ISO. Install a fresh copy from that and then use that to CHKDSK an external drive with the image restored to it?

Complicated, I know, but I can't think of another easier way to deal with it. If you could mount the Winclone image as a second drive to a VM, that might also work somehow...

B

5. marikavs thread starter macrumors member

Food for thought

Thank you again!

In theory yes, I could probably download an official W7 ISO. But wouldn't I have to pay for it?

The idea of mounting the image as a second drive to a VM appeals to me. I do have VMware Fusion - in my installation it runs/ran off BootCamp...

I have some thinking, and learning, to do. And possibly 'some' locating of an external drive on which to put the problematic image. Hmmm, I'm wondering what I can do with the VMware Fusion setup that came back with the OS X restore (just thinking "out loud.")

In any case I will let you know what happens.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. marikavs thread starter macrumors member

Fantastic, thanks. Oops, the first one I tried got a 404 and the second one "File Removed for Violation." Will have to get back to this later and try some more. Gotta go.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. marikavs, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

marikavs thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I used yours to save me time and now I have it mounted on the desktop ready for use. But before I clobber the hard-won restore on Boot Camp I thought I'd try to restore the winclone image to an external USB drive. Not having found anything on how to restore a winclone image to an external drive I decided to format the drive FAT (it is after all Windows) and hope winclone/MacFUSE would "magically" return it to NTFS. I may never find out... At 23.29% I was already getting read-errors:
    WARNING: Can't read sector at 5419225088, lost data.
    WARNING: Can't read sector at 5419225600, lost data.
    WARNING: Can't read sector at 5419226112, lost data.
    WARNING: Can't read sector at 5419226624, lost data.
    WARNING: Can't read sector at 5419227136, lost data.
    WARNING: Can't read sector at 5419227648, lost data.
    caught signal, dying
    Mon Jul 11 13:15:20 EDT 2011
    Volume on disk1s1 failed to mount

But before I try something else, like formatting the USB drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled) I thought I'd better check with you. If I'm going to access the external drive from a BootCamped Windows 7 (in order to run chkdsk) would that be the way to go?

ADDENDUM 1: I have no idea what happened there. Maybe my firewire drive has "issues." It's now plugged in directly to the MacBook so it can't be the hub any more... Long story short(er), I reformatted and partitioned the USB drive - one partition Mac OS and the other NTFS. Turns out Mac OS is not the way to go. Now using the NTFS partition to restore the winclone image from the firewire drive, again, and this time it's happier: now up to almost 50% and passed 23.29% without problem. Figuratively keeping my fingers crossed.

ADDENDUM 2: Firewire plague! This time the external firewire drive froze at 70-some %... I dug up an old firewire drive with old OS X backups on it which I erased and am now (trying to, using the hub again) copy the winclone image over before the other drive dies. I do hope that works. When I tried to copy the image to the desktop before it didn't survive.
    I'm starting to think/worry the original restore problems had something to do with that firewire drive. Is it possible the winclone image could have been corrupted by it? That's already not a super recent backup because the internal drive failure took me by surprise - that drive had passed a SMART test the same morning... Here's hoping! (that the image itself is not beyond hope.)

ADDENDUM 3: The image made it. I used it to restore to the USB drive's NTFS partition. It won't mount either. Here's the last piece of the Winclone log:

100.00 percent completed
    Syncing ...
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsclone" --rescue -f -f -O "/dev/disk2s2" /dev/disk3 1>&2 is 0

=====unmounting disk image==============

/usr/bin/hdiutil detach /dev/disk3
    return value of /usr/bin/hdiutil detach /dev/disk3 is 0

"disk3" unmounted.
    "disk3" ejected.
    Volume on disk2s2 failed to mount
    destination_path is
    Unmounting /dev/disk2s2
    /usr/sbin/diskutil unmount "/dev/disk2s2"return value of unmount is 256

output is disk2s2 was already not mounted

=====expanding=====

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsresize" -f -f "/dev/disk2s2"
    return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsresize" -f -f "/dev/disk2s2" is 256

ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    ERROR(5): Opening '/dev/disk2s2' as NTFS failed: Input/output error
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!
    The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was
    and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired.
    "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfsresize" -f -f "/dev/disk2s2" did not complete successfully
    Volume on disk2s2 failed to mount
    Mon Jul 11 17:29:04 EDT 2011

There was also an error message similar to the one before, presumably then from Disk Utility when it couldn't mount the drive/partition.
    NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk2s2 at /Volumes/BootCampXP because the following problem occurred:

ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup: magic: 0x00000000
    etc.
    [this looks like the previous message I retyped, i.e. VCN (0x0) expected
    (0x5)
    Failed to mount 'dev/rdisk2s2': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or…]

Please explain to me how W7 is going to "see" the restored partition. Is W7 somehow different from past Windows in that regard?

10. marikavs thread starter macrumors member

Follow-up

Windows 7 reports F:\is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    So much for running chkdsk on it from W7.
    :(-MvS

11. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I've never been able to restore Windows with a Winclone image. It *always* fails. I don't even bother wasting my time with it anymore. It takes less time to just do a clean install of everything rather than trying to get Winclone to work. :mad: