Winclone Restore not Booting ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Washac, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Washac, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I did a Winclone back up.
    I then restored the Winclone Image to an external drive.
    When I try to boot into Windows I get this message on screen - No Bootable Device - Inseet Boot Disk

The above was done using a guide from Winclone called: Migrating a Bootcamp Partition with Winclone.

http://twocanoes.com/support/winclone/migrating-a-bootcamp-partition-with-winclone

Followed this guide to the letter, only part/option I did not get was - Copy Boot File - Part 24 of the guide.

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Yup did that to no avail.

Think I may of found the problem, will report back if I am correct.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've done some restores from winclone, and what I had to do, is create bootcamp, then let it reboot, and get into the windows install process. I then reformat the drive to NTFS. At that point, I boot back into OS X and start the winclone process. That seemed to work for me.

5. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

What external enclosure and interface type are you using?

I always make sure to boot the internal Windows with the external enclosure attached to be sure Windows loads the necessary drivers for the enclosure/interface ... then I WinClone that updated image over to the external drive.

There are some external drives / enclosures which are not compatible with booting Windows from them.

6. Washac, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

This is what I discovered, I have an enclosure here I know works and it contains a Hard Disk that at the moment is being used for something else. This will become free to use later today, then I will try that.

7. Washac, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Washac

OK, after much messing around I am now at a stage where no matter what I do or how I try I cannor even install my winclone image, why is wything to do with windows a pain ?

I keep getting this error message in the winclone log over and over........

mdworker: (warning) import: bad path:

I have recreated my Bootcamp partition using the Bootcamp utility and also created a Bootcamp partition manually both end up with above result.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Are you doing this on your iMac or Mac Pro? Assuming your iMac, did you originally have Windows installed on the internal drive from which you created your WinClone image? Do you have other drives and/or partitions active when you try to boot Windows externally?

9. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Mac Pro
    I started again now as I said above I cannot even do a Restore.

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You might remove all of your drives except the Windows one and if it boots, let it fully initialize and update. Then, replace your drives.

You can't even restore to a drive in one of the drive bay sleds? That doesn't sound good. Do you still have the original installation on a disk drive such that you can make the clone again?

I did my WinClone to a SSD on a sled in the drive bay. Then, once running, I put a Velocity DUO card in a PCIe slot and booted Windows to install drivers for the card ... then shut down and moved the SSD from the drive bay over to the Velocity DUO where it is currently running.

11. Washac, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

Washac

OK, managed to get my Winclone image back where it came from on its original drive/partition.

I partitioned the drive in Disk Utility and formatted it, then I tried to restore the Winclone image, nothing, just did not want to restore. I followed the process again of manually doing the Windows partition, and withing a very short time it started a restore, it completed the restore sometime later and is all working.

Thanks for your assistance.

12. Mike Boreham, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

My understanding is that it not possible for Macs to boot Windows on external drives by the normal means like you describe.

I believe it can be done by more complex methods like in this thread or this one

You could start all over with a Parallels VM, which are quite happy on an external.

Just seen this current thread about Windows Bootcamp on externals.

13. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks these pointers.

I recall reading that with later versions of Winclone and Windows 8 and above I believe
    you can copy your Bootcamp partition and restore it to an external device.

14. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I have not picked up on that. Macs which are supplied without an optical drive can boot from USB Window installers (because they have to) but I don't think they can run a Bootcamp partition on an external without jumping through the hoops in the links I posted.
    Please post back if you find a straightforward way to do it...I would be interested.

15. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

There you go.

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/suppo...n-external-drive-using-winclone-4.3-and-later

No good for me though

1. I have Winclone 4.
    2. I have not got EFI version 2 ( I run a 2009 Mac Pro ).
    3. I can easily update to windows 8 if need be.

Can the EFI be updated ?

16. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Thanks very much for that....looks clear enough! I will give it a go.
    Wonder why the red warning "Apple requires....."

I am afraid I don't know if the EFI can be updated on your Mac Pro, but I expect someone on the Mac Pro forum will.

17. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you are using the built-in OS X application program "BootCamp Assistant", it will not let you install to an external drive. However, as mentioned previously, there are many ways around this. Actually, "BootCamp Assistant" really doesn't do that much for you ... it creates a partition on your disk, downloads a driver package (much like you would receive with a purchased motherboard), and offers to create a USB stick with the .iso file you supply and the driver package. You really only need the driver package for motherboard functions, the rest you can do yourself.

18. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Thanks for clearing that up....makes sense.