Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iluvtennis88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
ok, i just got my itouch, and from my friends touching it and stuff, there were tons of fingerprints, and the microfiber cloth didn't get rid of them. so, i sprayed some windex on a kleenex and rubbed it gently on the screen. is it gonna screw up my itouch??? if it does, is there any way to remedy it?? please answer, and thanks. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
You said sprayed and rubbed so I am going to assume you already did it, so just touch it and see if it responds, and if it doesn't take it to Apple.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Of course not. It's glass. You used glass cleaner on glass.

Unless you didn't get any inside of the device it's perfectly safe. I always use windex on any glass screen, you'd be mad to pay £20/$30 for Apple's recommended iKlear screen cleaner.

pepi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Don't spray the cleaner directly on the iPod. Spray it on the cloth and then clean it.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
No...
I get a damp paper towel and wipe mine off all the time and dry it on a hand towel. As long as you don't DUMP it in the windex you're ok...

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I use disinfectant wipes The one I use is a brand I have at the hospital I work at and is not generally available however what you need to do is find one that does not leave a residue behind such as the Clorox brand. One thing I would suggest with really cuts down on finger prints is a plastic shield for your screen. My Touch has had one installed from day one and it really makes a huge difference. Here is the one I use.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3545LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA4Mg&mco=MTM3NDk3MzI

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i wouldn't use it as it as ammonia in it that could cause whatever coating is on the glass to come off over time.

ascendedoshen

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Kauai
Never use cleaner on an iPod!

i wouldn't use it as it as ammonia in it that could cause whatever coating is on the glass to come off over time.

This is spot on! Windex and all other glass cleaners strip glass of it's natural oils and an iPod is NOT JUST GLASS as some dodo bird mentioned use only damp cloth or you will ruin it!

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Agree with the above. No cleaners at all, especially Windex. Wrong kind of glass. From pg. 46 of the iPod manual that nobody seems to read:

" Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, compressed air, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPod touch."

evilspoons

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
The above is true for TVs and monitors (flat panel & tube) and pretty much anything else modern with a display.

Use display cleaner that is specifically designed to not ruin the optical coatings on them (I think glasses cleaner is ok too, but I haven't checked).

Don't use a kleenex either, they're quite abrasive. Use a microfibre cloth thingy.

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL
Agree with the above. No cleaners at all, especially Windex. Wrong kind of glass. From pg. 46 of the iPod manual that nobody seems to read:

" Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, compressed air, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPod touch."

Where does one get an iPod manual? There wasn't anything in the packaging with my iPod Touch.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Scotch tape

I use no liquids to clean my ipod touch. Use scotch tape and it will lift all the fingerprints away like magic. Makes the screen look brand new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.