Windex or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itripped, Aug 11, 2010.

1. itripped macrumors member

Hey, so this shiny screen of mine is a) a spot magnet and b) made of glass, right? Is it special Apple glass that somehow is easily harmed by cleaners or do people just use regular old windex on their lap tops?

Water on tissue?

Ultra expensive hyped up glass cleaners?

C'mon, what do you use to keep your screen clean?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I clean my AL iMac's screen with regular Windex. It's just regular old glass and Windex can't hurt it. Just make sure it's completely dry before you close it.

3. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I've heard that Windex causes fogging of the screen so use it at your own risk.

4. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Same here. Been using Windex on our screens for years now. Never any problems. Just don't spray directly onto the display.

6. nathanw macrumors member

I've heard bad things about windex on the screen. I use anti-static monitor wipes and they work like a charm. You could probably pick some up at a walmart or something.

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

+1, it's just glass

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I use windex and a paper towel to clean everything on my MBP. I clean the keys, the aluminum, and the screen with it. No problems here.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I've always heard horrible things about Windex and especially paper-towls because they can scratch very easily.

I wouldn't use anything but a microfiber cloth on my MBP.

For cleaning I use this: http://www.klearscreen.com/

I guess I look at it like this... If I'm going to spend close to $3k on a computer I can spend $20 for an Apple recommended cleaning solution.

Just me though...and I'm OCD about my stuff.

Cheers!

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I love this stuff. I bought it for my iPhone but use it on my iMac screen--does a nice job and the kit comes with some nice clothes--well worth the small price.

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The microfiber that came with my computer disappeared some how so I have been using windex on a paper towel instead. I think i will go and pick up some of that Klear stuff soon though.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No! windex
    No! rubbing alcohol
    No! steel wool pads
    No! hard tap water

Get the iKlear kit. The medium sized bottle will last you atleast a year if you use clean maybe once a month. The microfiber clothes will ensure no scratches (and they should be rinsed every so often to ensure you don't pick up any dirt that will scratch the finish).

If iKlear is somehow too rich for your blood (consider you have a mac), grab a $1.50/gallon jug of distilled water and clean with that. anything but windex which contains ammonia, dye, perfume, alcohol, and some other garbage that you don't necessarily want on the rest of your mac i.e. the speakers keyboards etc.

13. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

It's glass. The seal is good enough beneath the glass to prevent hazing. Don't go crazy, either.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Windex is fine. Been using on computer monitors since 1993.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm.. I've been stealing those KFC handy wipes for years, just so i can clean crap of the display. beats wasting money on hyped up and fragrance vinegar.

16. emaja macrumors 68000

I would never let either paper towels or Windex touch any screen of any kind.

I use a screen cleaning kit for my HD TV for all screens. No alcohol and no residue or streaking. It comes with a microfiber cloth. Paper is remarkably abrasive and other cleaners can leave a haze that is hard to remove. I actually only use the spray - applied to the cloth and not the screen - if someone has touched my screen or if there is a smudge that can't removed with just the cloth.

Spend a few bucks for a proper cleaning cloth and cleaner. You bought a pretty expensive computer, so don't cheap out.