Windex poured onto Macbook Pro 17" Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfzMacBookPro, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sfzMacBookPro macrumors newbie

So, a family member of mine (going through a very bad divorce) had a 17" Macbook Pro (I think purchased new around 2007-8). His wife (now ex-wife) poured most of a bottle of Windex onto his MBP's keyboard. The computer would no longer turn on after this occurred.

So, my question to the educated masses of MacRumors is whether this can be fixed. I live in NYC and thought about taking it to Tekserve for their Spill Recovery (http://www.tekserve.com/service/spill), but its notable that the victim took the MBP to the Apple Store where the Genius Bar told him that it would cost more to replace everything than to buy a new one.

What could be damaged by someone pouring Windex straight onto the keyboard?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Windex? I would say that liquid + electronics do not mix period.
    Your best bet may be to go to iFix it and see if you can't price out a new MLB via eBay and start there.

3. celticpride678

It all depends. It could be the Logic Board, actual keyboard, Hard Drive, Speakers, CPU etc. It all depends on how the keyboard "absorbed" the liquid and where it was initially poured on. Clearly the wife was not very happy.:p

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I could probably be fixed, but if most of the bottle ended up in there, everything would probably need replaced.

It would be cheaper, faster and less of a headache to buy a new one.

5. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

With that amount of liquid, and the intent to actually get it inside the keyboard (as opposed to an accidental spill that gets tended to immediately), it's probably not worth the effort of replacing things until it works again.

6. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Oh my.

It really depends on what has suffered the damage. If it was a lot of Windex, I assume that the logic board has been damaged.

The genius is right, they do not cover liquid damage, and so replacing anything is really very, very expensive.

It might be more economical to replace the whole MacBook Pro.

Do you think he can claim anything under his homeowner's insurance maybe? It really stinks he's going through a rough time and it has destroyed his PC.

7. chriszzz macrumors 6502

I think small claims court is the solution to this problem.

8. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

I concur. And if you happen to get Judge Judy, she will rip that ex-wife a whole plethora of new ******s.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I agree take her to claims court or just ask her for a new one? Has he talked to her about it? How childish.