Window 10 and the 5k iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HaruAoki, Jul 31, 2015.

1. HaruAoki, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

HaruAoki macrumors member

HaruAoki

Hello, i installed windows 10 today and found some issues running it on the 5k iMac.

The first issue is a image bleed effect i guess you could call it, the imahes like wallpapers are bleeding and images does look as smoth (sorry cant really describe this well will post screens shots latter on) also when opending the start menu thr images bleed even more This bug can be fix by changing the screen size lower but does this brings other problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next problem when going to desplay setting and try to change the screen size not all options are there 3 sizes 3840 x 2160, 2k screen size and something around 720p screen size (unlike on window 7 where it has a bunch more) also in 3840 x 2160 plugging a second monitor in will not pick it up and the second monitor will be blank changing to 2k will fix the issue.

Changing the screen to 2k fixes the image bleed but bring another issue all text is destroyed and broken but if a second monitor is on the text on that screen will be fixed but broken on the 5k iMac.

[​IMG]

I dont know if this is something I can fix on my end or if its on Microsoft ends or apples end due to no window 10 bootcamp drivers that im a were of.

Thats about it for bugs that I've found so far (tho have not been using it for long)

Thank you for your time and I hope you all have a great day.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Quick question please ... is your Windows installed on the internal drive or on an external drive?

3. HaruAoki thread starter macrumors member

HaruAoki

internal, did not know you could i stall bootcamp on a external drive.

4. hfg, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You can install windows to an external drive, but not using Bootcamp Assistant to do so.

Edit:
    Sorry, my question had nothing to do with your problem, I was mainly interested that you actually were able to install Windows 10 to a runnable state in the Retina iMac 5K, and on an internal drive.

I am trying to do so on an external SSD running Windows 8.1 and the update to -10 fails and reverts back to the original version. It may be the "external" status of the drive causing the problem and I am tempted to clone my Windows back to the internal drive, then update to Windows 10, and if successful clone it back to the external drive.

5. HaruAoki thread starter macrumors member

HaruAoki

Updated the post with some images of the problem.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Probably a driver problem. Have you run the updates?

7. HaruAoki thread starter macrumors member

HaruAoki

Yes it was the bootcamp drivers were uninstalled when window 10 was installed, download and re-installing the bootcamp driver fixes the isuue and it all working fine at the moment. Will update if any othet problems happen.

Thanks for all your help!

8. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

I'm hoping when Apple gets around to updating Bootcamp for the 5K we will get some updated graphics drivers.

9. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I couldn't update to Windows 10 with Parallels using the Windows update. Tried all the workarounds but it would fail every time. Went back to making an ISO and had no problems.

10. HaruAoki thread starter macrumors member

HaruAoki

Are out dated drivers the reason why the 5k iMac only goes up to 4K? (or is it just me having the issue)

11. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

8.1 didn't support 5K, I don't know about 10.