Window 7 folder password protect program

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by deany, May 22, 2016.

1. deany macrumors 68020

deany

Hi
    I would like a simple way of password protecting (say with a 4 digit pin) a folder(s) in windows 7.
    I don't want to bother have to encrypt the folder & it needs to be really simple:
    After a simple right click setup as a password protect folder-
    Double click folder
    Prompt to enter pin
    Enter pin
    Access allowed to folder.

Free if possible but will pay especially on a trial version.

Thanks

ps
    something a simple as "Carbon Copy Cloner" in terms of interface would be perfect.

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Maybe VeraCrypt. There's a tutorial for beginners.

VeraCrypt does not fit that criterion. But if you're serious about protection, it might be difficult to find a suitably simple solution.

3. deany thread starter macrumors 68020

deany

Thanks for your reply, and advise. Looks like an excellent program

Is there a simple program without the volume creation (not as safe but acceptable).

thanks

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Thanks

A few days ago with Windows 7 I tested a combination of BitLocker plus Encrypting File System (EFS). For me the latter required an override of a policy that's intended to prevent EFS (I guess that the policy is to guard against ransomware flavours of malicious encryption).

With that combination, I encrypted my profile.

Then I was surprised, disappointed to find that a different user (an administrator) could simply grant his/herself access to my supposedly encrypted profile. Maybe I tested in the wrong way but I was left with the impression that with Windows alone, serious protection is not suitably simple.

6. deany thread starter macrumors 68020

deany

Hi

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

The Windows link, I'm not sure, but it doesn't appear to give the ability to add say a 4 digit pass code.

The others from the 2nd link don't appear to do what I want. They are creating a volume etc

I understand that say the 'Windows login' page is very easy to hack, very weak and possible not even encrypted?.

That is the kind of security (or lack of) that is acceptable to me here.

Basically a right click and the enter a pass code and the folder then requires the pass code to access it.

The data I'm trying to protect is not sensitive enough but I would just prefer it to be awkward to access (but not impossible if you really wanted to) so not even encrypted would be fine.

There doesn't seem to be this type of program available?

Or am I missing the whole point of password protection.

7. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

If you're the sole user of the machine then BitLocker may be ideal. It protects the entire drive (not just a folder).

8. deany thread starter macrumors 68020

deany

Thank for the reply.

Its used by 4 members of staff & backed up etc.

I'm not expecting any staff to hack the folder and they have access to at the data at the moment anyway!

Its just certain docs I would prefer to still be kept in the main folder (36GB thousands of files & folders) but difficult to access without a 4 digit key.

On a different point I found a program called CloseAll which is very "light weight'' but closes all the windows in one click.

I sometimes forget to close a program before backing up, which stalls the backup.

This "light weight'' type approach is all I was thinking of but as a password protect of a folder.

Cheers

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Instead of locking the folder how about hiding it?
    Rename it to something very boring, set its properties to hidden, bury it several levels down in another folder, and then make a shortcut to it (also very boringly named) that only you know about somewhere.

Or here's a link that tells you to create a password protected bat file that will quickly hide/unhide your folder
    http://www.howtogeek.com/105633/how...-protected-folder-without-any-extra-software/

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Security by ignorance, which can work but its not the best method. Its really easy to reset the file explorer to show hidden files. I think if the OP has sensitive information, either password protecting it, or better yet encrypting it, is a much better option - just my $.02 :)

11. deany, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016

deany thread starter macrumors 68020

deany

thank you so much, the hiding of the folder is pretty much exactly what I wanted.
    The users aren't wanting to actively seek out any sensitive info, the staff are great, so your 'work around' is perfect.
    It was just for preventing 'curiosity getting the better' of staff- too much temptation.
    I have already implemented it, and its fine and easy for Directors to un-hide & hide.

Great forum great people

thank you for your advice.

ps

thanks also maflynn for you valued as always advise, and graham also.