Window Behaviour Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mckyvlle, Dec 21, 2007.

1. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I have a couple of problems with the way windows are working:
    1) Why does the scroll button speed up scrolling when I click and hold it? It make it impossible to see/read the contents of the window when it starts accelerating. E.g. in Firefox, holding the scroll button causes the page to scroll down faster and faster. Ditto Finder windows. Any way to kill the acceleration and have the window scroll at a constant speed?

2) Is there any way or 3rd party app that can make windows snap to each other/screen edge?

2. unity macrumors 6502a

All I can say if that I have had the same odd problem from time to time. Its like the scroll bar ignores the cursor grab point. By that I mean if you grab it in the middle and scroll down suddenly the cursor is grabbing it at the top. Its like its "slippery".

But I can not say this is consistent. I have had it happen more than a few times, but its not repeatable.

3. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Er, not quite. What I meant is the up/down scroll buttons at the bottom of the scrollbar. When I click and hold either one of them, the window contents scroll faster and faster.

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Ah.... you made it sound like it was a bug.

Thats normal, but I guess I dont use those scroll buttons, I only grab the bar - as most people do.

5. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess that's the Mac UI's way of handling scroll buttons. :rolleyes: Never seen that under KDE/Gnome or Windows.

Any ideas how to turn that behaviour off if it is at all possible?

I would also like to know about an app that can make windows snap to each other. This functionality is built-in in most Linux GUIs, and can be had using AllSnap under Windows.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not sure why you would actually want the scroll arrows to run at one speed, they are already slow when scrolling from top to bottom on web pages, the acceleration is very welcome but then again, it's much easier to use the scroll bar. Why use the scroll arrow?:rolleyes:

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

for the firefox problem turn off smooth scrolling

Preferences > Advanced > General

8. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I say it's a force of habit. Been doing that for a long time now... ;) I find it convenient to hold down on the scroll-down button and read the page as it scrolls along. I suppose I could use the keyboard down-arrow key for this :)

9. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That does help abit. There's still some acceleration, but the effect isn't as much as before.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Just out of curiosity, have you tried 2 finger scrolling? Not a bash, just checking. It took my friend about 16 months to finally figure out that if you move both fingers at once, 2 finger scrolling really is better. And my sister had her macbook for about 2 months before discovering it, said it made her week (she had had a rough one, so every little thing helped)

11. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I have. I like it a lot too. :)

It's just that sometime when reading a long page, I get lazy and just want to hold down a button and have the page scroll.