Window Focus Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KlytusLord, May 23, 2011.

1. KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hello all,

I hope I can describe my question properly without visual aids :)

On MS Windows, if I have multiple apps running and I can see their windows, I can perform mouse actions on them even if the window in question does not have the focus. For example ...

Imagine I have a browser window open and I am typing a letter in my word processor. The word processor has focus. If I want to refresh the website on my browser, all I have to do is move the cursor to the refresh icon and click once (this is the important bit.)

In OSX, with the exact same scenario, I have to click twice, since my first click simply gives the Safari window focus, without actually triggering any action within the browser.

This is consistent with all apps and programs in both operating systems respectively, and Linux behaves the same as MS Windows, with a single click accomplishing the setting focus and triggering the action in question.

So, the question ...

Is there some hidden setting where I can get OSX to behave the same way as the other two OSes I use? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No hidden setting. That's the way Mac OS X works.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can, however, hold the Command key while you click to make commands pass through without bringing the window into focus. Keep in mind though that in some cases that will have undesired consequences, since web browsers generally use a command click to signify that you want a link to open in a new tab, so if you try to use that for the back or forward button, you'll spawn a new tab with the page you were trying to get to.

Best bet is just to get used to it.

jW

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I am so glad that my Mac behaves the way it does in this regard. I get so annoyed at work that I have to be super careful about where I click on an "out of focus" window in the background so that it won't execute something that I don't want it to. It slows me down somewhat.