Window Phone 7 likes and dislikes.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silverdogz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. silverdogz macrumors newbie

silverdogz

I was wondering what everyone thought about M$'s new mobile platform. I am an Apple user and an Microsoft user. Also please no comments like "I don't like it because it's a Microsoft product." or "I don't like it because it's not an iPhone/Android/Blackberry." Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The UI is fresh, live tiles are a great idea and information is right there. The grid in iOS and Android has gotten really stale.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's really smooth even on "weak" hardware, and it's very pretty (at least to me). I do wish developers would keep their tiles looking like the standard ones (simple white logo on a coloured tile) because the full colour image tiles really don't fit.

It also has great, possibly the best, social network support of any mobile OS. It's all right there, you simply need to log in. This bring me to another thing. The OS itself (before installing many apps) can do a hell of a lot.

Sorry for the disjointed post, my mind is elsewhere at the moment.

4. silverdogz thread starter macrumors newbie

silverdogz

This is one of the really big marketing stunts Microsoft tried to pull off. I think they might of succeeded. Also everyone who participated in the events got a FREE WP7 for their carrier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PitGqCeJF8c

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it has potential, but it may be too little too late, with android and iOS being so entrenched.

I don't like the Metro UI, but I can see it working at least on the phone/tablet (not on a desktop).

The issue that the current crop of phones not being able to upgrade to win8 may be a huge issue and news is trickling out that this may very well be the case.

MS has had time to produce a highly polished well written OS, but even now it still seems to have some rough edges and my point here is, that this is only going to hurt their efforts.

With Nokia on board, they have a great phone maker and the current crop of phones is showing off what they can pull off. Whether consumers opt for these phones over iOS/Android is anyone's guess at this point

6. neiltc13, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

+ Interface (live tiles showing next appointment, alarm time etc)
    + Built in software (eg QR code reader, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn built in without installing any apps)
    + Xbox Live support for games
    + Office Mobile with syncing to SkyDrive and documents can be edited using desktop office apps
    + Nokia hardware
    + Nokia drive (free turn by turn navigation app)
    + Smoothness
    + Every phone is required to have a hardware camera shutter button
    + Camera can be launched when phone is locked by holding down that button
    + Integration with Zune desktop application (way, way better than iTunes)
    + Zune pass
    + Official connector software available for Mac
    - Still lacking many apps
    - Apps that are available tend to be more expensive than iOS or Android
    - Some apps are really slow (eg Facebook)
    - Multitasking does not really work properly
    - IE9 is better than the old version, but still makes a few rendering errors, particularly on text headers
    - No central place for notifications
    - No support for displays greater than 800x480
    - Phones can have software carrier branded and this causes delays in the delivery of updates

7. silverdogz thread starter macrumors newbie

silverdogz

It does have the chevron unlocker from Microsoft.

Sent from my Focus S using Board Express

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Chevron closed up shop and don't sell tokens anymore.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I like the live tiles, and the smoothness even on not-top-of-the-line hardware.

What I don't like is the lack of available (free) apps.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A grid of identically-sized icons is the worst way to organise things. I thought I left that life behind when I switched to Macs 10 years ago, but Apple's insistence on iPadifying everything has meant that rows and rows of icons are back in style.

I like the Windows Phone 7 look, but I don't think the style of UI really works well on a small screen. It would work well on a tablet (perhaps Windows 8??). Fantastic idea, very nice and readable fonts, but I'm not sure if it makes for an amazing phone.

I'd be willing to get one, though. ;)

11. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I really like the UI, the multitasking, software keyboard, and the browser. I don't like the specs of the hardware it's on, especially the display resolution.

I'll stick with Apple'$ iPhone until Windows Phone gets competitive hardware.