Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I have an issue that is bothering me to no end and I know there's a way to fix it, but I need to pick your brains on how to do it.

When I open safari, it opens about 4mm off dead center which makes a space on the left where I see the desktop and hides my bookmarks extended arrow so I can't reach it and I have to drag it over and center it every time I open it.

On my Finder window it does the same thing only in the other direction and I have to drag it back to center to see the red dot on the left.

I've drug them back to center more times than I can count, tried to open them with the full screen button and drag them, and it's driving me nuts. How can I make it remember the window position?

Thanks!: )

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Safari should do this. make sure you open Safari to your home page, drag it to your desired location, quit it, then open it again. it should be where you left it. does for me.

by default when you click the Finder icon in the dock a Finder window opens to your home folder. you can change this in Finder's preferences. so make sure you drag your home folder to your desired location, then close it, then open it again, it should be where you left it.

if you move a Finder window which is not in your home folder the default Finder window will not remember this. you can check this by command-clicking on the folder that you moved. so say if you opened your home folder, then clicked the applications folder in the sidebar, moved it, then closed it youll notice that your home folder hasnt moved yet. but if you command-click the applications folder in the sidebar youll notice that it did indeed move. this goes for the size of Finder windows too.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Safari should do this. make sure you open Safari to your home page, drag it to your desired location, quit it, then open it again. it should be where you left it. does for me.

Well that's what I said I had dragged it a hundred times and it still goes back to the normal spot.

I think the only way I am going to get it to forget and go back to factory specs is to use onyx or find out the proper way to delete the preferences manually.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I suppose if I am going to delete them all I might as well use Onyx and wipe it up clean. I dunno why I am having this issue on Leo, but I never did on Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.