Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Here's the problem: right now, I am working in the "MacRumors:Forums" application. On my screen I see a "window" (do they call it that in the Mac world?) but it does not cover the whole screen. I can see part of my desktop behind it. This happens with all other applications as well. This is after clicking the green "plus" button. How can I make the windows "full screen?"

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
You need to grab the lower right corner and drag it to make it full screen. Mac OS X adjusts windows as to how it thinks it needs to be in order to properly see what is being displayed.

And yes, they're called windows.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Give it a little while, you'll love that you're not wasting screen space...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Maximizing never has been really part of the Mac OS, for various reasons, usually revolving around the fact that you never actually need to maximize a window.

The green bulb is zoom to fit, where the window adjusts itself to display the content in the most efficient manner. There are many threads explaining the ideology behind this.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
yes. when i ported over from windows, I hated that the windows didn't fill up my screen. But trust me, the mac method is way way way better here. really allows you to manage your screen space and switch between applications easily. also very good for doing side by side work. trust us, just get used to it, and you will love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.