Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MWhiskerton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Are there any applications that perform window snapping (such as Windows Aero Snap, Cinch or Moom) without requiring the user to "Enable Assistive Devices?"

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
BetterTouchTool can do window snapping. I cannot remember if I had to enable Assistive Devices or not, but I don't think I did...

Screen Shot 2011-12-28 at 09.18.31.png

Nope you need it :(

Can I ask why you don't want to enable it?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think I had to do that with Moom either.

EDIT: Is there a specific reason why you wouldn't want to enable assistive devices?

MWhiskerton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
The Moom trial does require you to enable it. :(

From what I've read online, it is disabled by default because enabling it presents a security risk. I don't know why OS X doesn't let you enable it only for specific applications--that would make more sense.

MWhiskerton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I can't find the links for the information I read before, but it was my impression that the option is disabled by default because it prevents any 3rd party applications from being able to log keystrokes, do screenshots etc. I assume that window snapping programs have to register where you're moving the windows, or clicking on the screen, so it makes sense that the functionality would be required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.