Window tearing with nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DLL

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hallivand, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Hey all, I seem to be experiencing window tearing when I move about windows/apps on my Power Mac G5. It's been there for awhile, and after trawling the net for answers I thought I'd ask for your opinions :)

When I had the stock Geforce 5200fx there was never any issues, yet when I upgraded to the 6800 Ultra at times dragging and scrolling would lag and tear. It wouldn't happen always (some days it runs like butter), but it's frequent enough to be frustrating.

I've also noticed that if I drag my windows on the upper half of the screen, there's no issues at all. It's when my windows are large and enter the bottom half (or anything enters around the bottom half) where the tearing begins.

I've tried re seating the card to no avail. When I tested again with my old 5200fx, it would work flawlessly.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, as iMovie/Games runs like sh** on the old 5200fx.

EDIT: Forgot to mention specs, its Rev. B Dual 1.8Ghz G5 with 3GB RAM (one with the 4 memory slots)

2. gsmithp macrumors newbie

I, too, put a GeForce 6800 Ultra into my Power Mac G5 and am experiencing problems. On mine I noticed right away that it is slow to load and play videos. Video playback is jerky, too. 5200 played everything fine. I did see a comment that suggested that the 6800 ultra will have problems in Leopard but not in Tiger but haven't been able to get any supporting opinions about that, yet. I will down grade to Tiger if that's the fix but I'll wait for more of a consensus opinion first if possible.

3. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

Yesterday I found a "fix", or a temporary one anyway in Leopard. Plug in the DVI cable into the other port. I haven't had any tearing since, though there would be some jerkiness occasionally (no tearing though). So try the different port, might work for you.

Interesting comment on the Leopard incompatibility, though either way running it in Leo would be better as software is little as it is, let alone in Tiger.

Though when I had Tiger with my old 5200, it would chirp every few seconds rather loudly. In Leopard, it only chips when im copying files over the network =/ (even then its rather soft). So food for thought too.

Going back to the 5200 is like back to the stone age, terrible Apple did that to us isn't it :mad:

4. gsmithp macrumors newbie

Just received post from another board about the 6800 ultra. Seems it was introduced way back in '03 and works best in Panther 10.3! Tiger even gives it fits. I think, since I already own the card and have a Panther disc I'll go ahead and down grade from Leopard to Panther and see what all the excitement was about back in the day.

5. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

Damn, seems like this card was hobbled from the beginning. Pity there's no driver upgrade for either Tiger or Leopard, would have made a great card.

I'd use panther more often if there was a decent web browser for it. Pity Safari 2/3 was never released for it.

Do tell your results in Panther :D

EDIT: I've gone back to the 5200fx until there's solutions to the 6800 Ultra, shocked that my other Dual G5 with the 5200fx was playing a 1080p movie no problems.

Yet the one I was using was stuttering like a b*tch on 720p.