Window XP, Rhino, and Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drey2222, Sep 25, 2008.

1. drey2222 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am trying to use bootcamp assistant to load up Windows XP, in an effort to eventually use Rhino on my mac (v. 10.5 with intel). I was told by the guys at Rhino that a mac version of windows XP was not needed so I bought a PC version.... but so far bootcamp is not recognising it. Also, the verification details are in an exe file, but I cant open it yet without getting XP loaded on my mac (chicken and egg scenario).

Does anyone know how I can open the exe file online so I can get the password? (if that is at all possible, or even make sense???!!)

Also, do I need a Mac version windows XP to get bootcamp going? if so.... where can i download it?

thanks

2. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

First, there is no "Mac" version of Windows. Windows is an operating system like Mac OS X. There are no specific versions for particular systems.

Second, you must have a Windows installation DVD. From your post, I can tell that you are trying to use a pirated version of Windows. (This is where you are getting that .exe file from.)

Please purchase a legit copy of Windows if you intend to install it on your Mac. Once you do that you insert the disc and run Bootcamp Assistant. You can still find Windows XP for sale at many retailers for about $200 or less, just be sure to buy the full version and NOT the upgrade.

We do not condone piracy on these forums.

3. drey2222 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040