Window XP update issues with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by majordude, Sep 13, 2009.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I installed Windows XP with Boot Camp. I then installed the Mac drivers. Perfect. Then I went to update Windows (it defaulted to a huge SP3 pack) and it burped. I rebooted and it burped again. (It couldn't copy some files and then asked for the SP3 install disk or something!)

I booted to the Windows XP install disk and reinstalled Windows. I was going to try to update XP before installing Apple's drivers but it doesn't have internet access!

GRRR! :mad:

Any thoughts?

2. fultonteri macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone..

I presently have Tiger (10.4.11) on my MacBook. I run Windows XP on my MacBook, using Parallels 2.5. Everything works together perfectly.
    I wish to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I understand that Parallels 2.5 will not work, and that if I wish to keep Parallels, I'll have to upgrade to Parallels 4.
    What happens to my copy of Windows in the Parallels upgrade process? Do I have to reinstall it from the beginning, and would I have to contact Microsoft to get a new activation key to make that happen?

3. Keleko macrumors 68000

Parallels 4 should be able to use your existing install when you upgrade. Windows might want to "phone home" to activate again, but that should not be anything other than you clicking on "activate" for it to complete.

4. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

Switch to Virtualbox !!

Bootcamp , Parallels and Vmware just did not work for me I switched to suns FREE program and works excellent !!

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

ps, when installing xp use the fn key and the f8 key at the same time for the installation of xp

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Perfectly.