Windows 10 1511 update won't install on MacBook Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dandeco, Feb 9, 2016.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

A couple of months ago, I decided to install Windows 10 on my mid-2009 MacBook's Boot Camp partition again (upgrading from Windows 7 Home). (I've also backed up a few system images over time as well, just in case.) Initially, it worked out fine. But now the Windows Update feature will not update the "Windows 10 Home 1511" upgrade. Normally it says it fails, but sometimes it'll attempt to install it, only for the computer to randomly shut down! (It often does this in the background lately, causing an unexpected random shutdown while I'm in the middle of working on something!) Now I can't be on my Windows partition for too long without a random shutdown occurring due to Windows 10 attempting to update.

Is there a way I can manually download and install this update onto my Windows 10 partition? Or I can disable the Windows Update software from installing it automatically?

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I couldn't get the installer to run on 2 Win PCs and my Parallels VM, but it ran on others in my office. Then it dawned on me that the 2 PCs had 64GB SSDs and my VM had a 64GB container size. I bumped the VM size to 128GB, and the installer worked the first time after that. I then burned a DVD with that VM and installed the updater on my 2 PCs. Check your partition size...

3. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I didn't reply right away, but that worked! Thanks! Windows 10 now operates much better on the MacBook.