Windows 10 Available on July 29

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iBlazed, Jun 1, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

2. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

My first thought is for those of us on boot camp. Will everything work off the bat? The only problem highlighted by Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor is that the Bluetooth may not work - which is obviously a big issue for those using Apple Wireless Keyboard/Magic Mouse etc.

Let's hope that Apple get out updated drivers quicker than they did for 8.1 which broke the FaceTime camera on the 2011 iMac (for example).

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The good news here is that the driver model hasn't changed from Windows 8.1 (yet). Sure, the NT version got bumped to 10.0, but with the bit of Windows API being changed to depend on the application manifest now, it doesn't much matter :) This means that, for the vast majority of cases, if it works in 8.1 it'll work in 10 too.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Has anyone been using the developer builds? Thoughts on them?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have played with previous developer builds. I have NOT used the latest builds... but even in that early state I was very impressed with them. Despite their bugginess, the user experience easily beats Windows 8, and even bests Windows 7 in some areas. Things only got better with later builds.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have heard similar reports that the OS is very good. My home media server currently uses Windows 8.1 so will upgrade early on and see how it performs.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

As a side note, if you're using Windows 7 or 8.1 and got the icon in your system tray telling you to sign up for the upgrade, you can remove it by uninstalling Windows Update KB3035583, rebooting, then hiding the update. After uninstalling, there may or may not be a directory in your Windows/System32 folder called GWX - delete that folder if it's there.