Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakikane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
I've got Windows 10 installed and running on my 2015 MacBook Pro. I am very well-versed in the Mac side of things, bit Windows is new for me.

What I need to know is this: can I download games straight to an external hard drive? I do a lot of gaming on the Xbox One and 360 and go through a lot of games. I don't have a Boot Camp partition that can handle too many games if they are installed in the internal SSD.

Is there a way to have games download from the Windows games store directly to an external hard drive, and then run the games from that drive? I will run a 7200 rpm 4 TB desktop hard drive, just like I have hooked up to my Xbox if this will work.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I've got Windows 10 installed and running on my 2015 MacBook Pro. I am very well-versed in the Mac side of things, bit Windows is new for me.

What I need to know is this: can I download games straight to an external hard drive? I do a lot of gaming on the Xbox One and 360 and go through a lot of games. I don't have a Boot Camp partition that can handle too many games if they are installed in the internal SSD.

Is there a way to have games download from the Windows games store directly to an external hard drive, and then run the games from that drive? I will run a 7200 rpm 4 TB desktop hard drive, just like I have hooked up to my Xbox if this will work.

In principle, yes. If you use Steam, you can set it up to save its games to any custom location, including one on an external drive (I've done it successfully on both Windows and OS X). As for Windows Store games, I believe the new update for Windows 10 (presumably releasing in late July) will fully support saving Windows Store apps to external drives. And if you want to install games the old-school way, using a traditional setup (not via Steam and the like), I don't see any reason why you couldn't set the install path to a drive that happens to be external. Just be ready to cope with broken shortcuts and related problems if you unplug your harddrive.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Yes, in the Windows store, it actually ask you where you want to put the files when you download the games. However, I am not sure if this is a new function on the insider preview, or same option avail in the official version Win 10 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.