Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I have a Mid 2010 17" MacBook Pro that I have as my designated Windows laptop (my 15" serves as my designated OS X laptop). It just barely got support for Windows 8 and 8.1 compatible Boot Camp drivers.

(Frankly, I'm not sure why Apple avoided giving more machines support for Windows 8 and 8.1 compatible Boot Camp drivers when (a) said machines were supported for 64-bit Windows 7 and (b) said machines otherwise meet Microsoft's minimum requirements. Apple really should've been able to provide drivers for systems like the Late 2010 MacBook Air and the Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro and MacBook, but I digress.)

Given this, do we think that Apple will make steeper cuts in terms of the systems it'll provide Windows 10 drivers (and thereby support) for than it did for 64-bit Windows 8.1? I'm presently running the Windows 10 Insider Preview while rocking the latest version of Boot Camp for this system (only rated to support from 64-bit Windows 7 through 64-bit Windows 8.1). My mileage has been somewhat rocky, but I figure that's due to running a pre-release version of Windows on top of drivers meant for an earlier version of Windows. Given this, once the Insider Preview version expires, I'll be moving back to a release copy of Windows. The question becomes one of will I get Windows 10 support on this system from Apple?

If I don't, then I'm going to Windows 8.1 and staying there (as updates to the Windows 10 Insider Preview [which, I understand, were similarly delivered to how Windows 10 will receive its updates down the road] kept breaking my installation of the Boot Camp software, forcing me to have to repair the installation on the regular). Otherwise, I'm curious as to how Apple will support those systems.

Does anyone have any good guesses or ideas either way? It would be nice to plan this OS wipe and reinstall ahead so I know which OS I'm using this machine with.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The question becomes one of will I get Windows 10 support on this system from Apple?
Its anyone's guess if/when apple will roll out support.

As long as you can boot up in windows 8.1 and then upgrade I think you'll be ok. If you're still on the preview of win10, I'd stick with that and just update the OS. You're actually in a better position staying on the preview and letting MS update your system. MS has already said they'd send insiders the update to bring the preview up to the gold release.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Running 10 now in bootcamp - it's going really well apart from an application that probably won't work on a regular PC after a upgrade to 10.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Drivers work fine in 10 (and have since the preview releases) on every machine I've tested, an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, a 2013 13" rMBP, and my new 2015 15" rMBP. My only complaint is that the AMD driver update for the M370X is having trouble installing through Windows Update on the 15".

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Windows 10 is mostly a new UI with some extra features but underneath it is the same as 8.1.
You don't really need new drivers, only the GPU needs updated drivers, everything else should work with 8.1 drivers.
Since there really is no issue I suspect Apple will also officially support Win10 everywhere 8.1 is supported or even just 7 is supported.

blatch

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
I'm having similar problems with a 17" Early 2011 MBP, but I cannot get ATI drivers loaded. I keep getting Code 43. I've tried every single version of them, including replacing the package install files in the most current ones with the bootcamp files. I don't know what to do, and all I want to do is play a 3D game. If anyone has any idea, no matter how technically complex, please let me know.

I cannot get them to load in 10 or 8.1, either. The Intel driver loads fine (including the Intel Beta one from Windows 10), but nothing works to activate the ATI driver.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
For those with driver issues, use the manufacturers drivers instead of boot camp.

I installed windows 10 on my 2006 Mac Pro. And to get drivers for my video card I just went to nvidia's website and downloaded the drivers for my 7300gt.

I ended up searching for latest beta, 64-BIT windows 7 drivers. Then I went into device manager on the computer, told it to update my graphics drivers, and pointed it at the directory /folder that contained my downloaded drivers. Worked great.

Remember, Apple assembles computers. The parts are still made by other companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.