Windows 10/Bootcamp does it work okay? virus risks?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MacDonaldTrump, Feb 15, 2019.

1. MacDonaldTrump macrumors regular

MacDonaldTrump

I have not played with windows for a long time. But I have a few kids and they need some help time and again.
    I recently spent a little time with windows 10 and it seemed nicer than I remember.
    I am heading back to uni, checked and we get a free educational copy of windows 10.
    I think I should start learning windows again, recently apple has been loosing it's grip on me and feel I should adapt my skills incase I ever jump ship.

I have some old worries of virus etc and last time I used bootcamp (a long while ago) it was quite buggy, I don't have any virus software, is it worth booting up windows to learn?
    any precautions?

I mostly don't want to upset the apple side of things, it is all running very well for me right now.

Thanks

2. OzXile macrumors newbie

OzXile

I was horrified by having to use the Windows 95 freak show many years ago but you’re right, Windows 10 is quite user-friendly and, dare I say it, more Mac-like than anything that has gone before. I now have to boot into Windows a couple of times a week for a program that’s not available on the Mac. Bootcamp works fine for me although I have to use a separate wired keyboard and mouse, as Windows/Bootcamp do not play well with my Bluetooth Apple hardware.

If you’re going to use Bootcamp regularly, I recommend getting NTFS for Mac, which makes it easier to manage the Windows partition and Winclone, which is a convenient way to backup your files on the Windows side while booted into Mac.

Virus-wise, I rely on what Windows 10 has already installed and it seems to work fine. No problems so far.

Don’t jump ship. Despite its faults, the Mac is still where Mac users feel at home for most of our computing and would not trade that for a world of all-the-time Windows.

3. Honza1 macrumors regular

Unless you need high performance, you may want to use one of the virtualization softwares. No need to reboot mac and you can use Windows at the same time. Higher performance ones cost money (e.g., Parallels), though - but Virtual Box is free, if I am not mistaken. The advantage is, that you can even make the VM completely separate, if you want. It seems to work really well for me. Also, easier backups and no changes to OSX file system (virtual disk is just a large file).
    But if you need high performance for games, Bootcamp may be faster.

4. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

No, viruses don't just magically show up on Windows, unlike what Apple would want you to believe. It's all about not going to bad websites, running adblockers and script blockers to wall out the bad advertisements, and generally just being smart about how you use the internet.

And I guess if you're really wondering, no, a virus on your Windows partition won't affect your OSX partition.

5. MacDonaldTrump thread starter macrumors regular

MacDonaldTrump

Thanks everyone, think ill load it up and take a look

6. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Think win 10 is alot faster in animation and fluid ui rendering than macos, its quite good overall nowdays but i still prefer macos because its more stable. Just wish they could fix the stuttering and slow animations, even an imac pro i tried had it..

7. ScreenSavers macrumors member

ScreenSavers

Windows 10 continues to improve for sure...

8. MacDonaldTrump thread starter macrumors regular

MacDonaldTrump

Ha, well my first experience with windows (maybe Mac) went a bit buggy. Bootcamp seemed to install things fine but this is what I see when I boot into windows. I am going to try deleting and reinstalling. IMG_7754.jpg

9. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Same here and it also seems to work fine.

10. MacDonaldTrump thread starter macrumors regular

MacDonaldTrump

I have it running now.
    Maybe my drivers aren’t installed properly?
    My 4k display isn’t firing up, connected via usbc-hdmi.

It has no problems Mac wise.

Anyone know how I can check?
    Or reinstall drivers?

Thanks

11. ScreenSavers macrumors member

ScreenSavers

Did you make a USB disk of the drivers from the Boot Camp assistant?

12. MacDonaldTrump thread starter macrumors regular

MacDonaldTrump

I did, when I try to run it in windows it does nothing, click to open it, it gives me a warning "sure I want to open etc"
    I click yes and nothing happens, I have logged back into Mac and re downloading support files, will try again off a new drive (both were Fat)