Windows 10 Bootcamp Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mgmtm3, Nov 20, 2016.

1. mgmtm3 macrumors newbie

So I tried bootcamp last night for windows 10 which led me down a rabbit hole of disappointment and frustration. I have a Mac Pro 2010 with a GeForce 970 in it. I have figured out now that I don't see any boot screens until the OS has loaded the GPU drivers. Also I guess this computer can't use USB to load an OS? So how with this setup could I install bootcamp Win10? Do I need to go out and buy a old Mac GPU just to see the OS install screen? Hopefully someone has tip out there that I am just not seeing because this seems like it should be a straight forward process.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

How can you tell that the USB is not bootable if you cannot see the boot screens? On my 2010 I can boot from USB.

3. mgmtm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It gets to a screen where it says "no boot devices found, insert boot device and press any key" Thats with the USB plugged in. If I hit any keys it does nothing.

4. ActionableMango, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Oh the Windows 10 USB installer is EFI only. You need an EFI card for that (Apple card or flashed PC card).

I guess you could try making a disc-based Win 10 installer and select the BIOS installation instead of EFI, but I have no idea if that will work without boot screens.

5. mgmtm3 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't know, I have an EFI card with boot screens and everything just works. I only know for sure that the USB installer is EFI only and that definitely will not work without an EFI card.

The DVD typically has BIOS and EFI installer options, but I don't know how you'd pick the right one (BIOS/CSM).