Windows 10 - Can't find wireless adaptor

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by johnh57, Aug 17, 2015.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

I have W10 running on Parallels 10. Airport is on, so I have internet when in the windows VM.

But - there is no wireless connection. Windows does not show a wireless adaptor being found. There is no yellow triangle next to a wireless device - there is no wireless device at all in device manager.

Netgear genie running in the VM says no wireless device, under os/x netgear genie shows our wifi network is fine (mac, pc, phones, tablets, tv's printer - all show up)

mid 2010 MBP - 2.4 ghz i5, 8mb ram, 500 gb ssd, os/x 10.10.5

From system report this is what is in the MBP:

Card Type:AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x93)

Firmware Version:Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.24)

I had no wifi issues running windows 7 pro on the VM

2. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I have the answer - parallels has the VM with w10 set up on a shared network - so all it's supposed to see is the mac. Which is what it does.

What triggered the 'issue' was w10 trying to update print drivers (for printers I don't have) and failing. I was trying to find the printer on the wifi network to get it installed and then I discovered there was no network. I suspect I had printers installed on W7 from before it was on a VM. Somehow it was trying to update drivers for them and failing.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yep. Typically VMware like software don't provide wireless support, since they simply emulate an Ethernet adapter to connect to host machine.