Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warton-john

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Why would #windows10 cumulative windows updates #fail on #MacBook rmb 2016 m5 but succeed on MacBook Air 2014 I7 both running #bootcamp ??

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
What's up with the hashtags?

The best way to find out what went wrong is probably to check your Windows logs. Computers are very rarely exactly like one another, so that something worked on one doesn't mean it'll work everywhere, especially when we're talking about machines with radically different hardware, as in your case.

Reactions: warton-john

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
One suggestion, since you didn't offer more about the installation - size, or type. Win 10 updates often require a larger partition/drive - some of our VMs or SSDs are "small" as in 64GB and they require an external drive to install the update(s), but the 128GB+ partitions update just fine and without issue. My Parallels Desktop VM gets error messages sometimes when it's set to a 64GB partition size; changing its partition/VM size to 128GB always fixes these errors.

Check your partition size…

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I've had windows 10 on bootcamp suicide itself at least 3 times due to updates. I believe it is related to the "update and restart" part of the update. I usually say "update and shut down" then give it a few seconds to complete after the screen turns black. Then I turn it on and hold option to boot back into Windows. No guarantees it will work for you :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.