Windows 10: "[Don't upgrade] if you value control over your OS & your data."

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CliftonHighgrov, Aug 4, 2015.

?

Is Windows 10 easier or less easy to customise to your needs than 7/8/8.1?

1. Easier

2. About the same

3. Less easy

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

I just wanted to share this view of Windows 10 from a guy whose opinion on matters Windows I trust. This is just a portion of what he has to say:
    (TweakGuides.com, post dated 4th August)

I've used and purchased the Deluxe versions of Koroush Ghazi's Windows XP and Windows 7 Tweak Guides, and consider him to be knowledgeable, thorough and practical. His chief aim is to educate the user to take control of his chosen Windows OS, and make informed choices that will allow the user to optimise their system for their needs, whether that be gaming, security, productivity etc.

Before reading his assessment I was tempted to upgrade to Win 10, simply because it's new and I was hearing a lot of good things about performance improvements. I've changed my mind now, and will definitely be waiting as long as necessary before making the change - if at all.

Do people here agree with his view of Windows 10?

2. macenied, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

It's about the same, IMO. Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 is under the hood. If you can configure W7/W8 you can configure W10 according to your needs. Windows XP is a different animal ( less functionality, less complexity ).

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

No more than setting up my prefs for any OS I use.

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

The subject is not very clear also. If you set up a single user PC with a browser, a few games, photos and some music your requirements will be very different compared to multiuser setups with automated software distribution in networks using network zones, exchange servers, databases and confidential data. Mil Spec security make no sense for home users. A PC for cloud computing ? And so on ...

5. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Whether for security or for ability to customise, users always have minimum freedom.

No need to say from El Capitan, dozens of system tweak utilities will go offline due to that new "rootless".

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I generally hold the notion that people break more then they do themselves good with tweaking their systems. Changing themes/icons and UI is the only thing that usually should need customizations. Tweak utilities are a pest to keep some magazin editors busy.

7. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

Photos is actually one example that Koroush Ghazi uses:
    That seems a pretty harsh change. Imagine Apple removing the "Open With:" option from the Get Info… window of all images, as well as the "Change All" button. Also seems to me that's a pretty fundamental change that's going to affect even the most basic of users.

No-one mentioned tweak utilities. Any changes suggested by Koroush Ghazi are done manually by the user using the balanced information provided in the free guides (or paid-for Deluxe versions, which are by no means mandatory).

8. macenied, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You can assign file types to programs as well as define standard programs using W10, as with previous Windows versions. Here is the dialogue ( sorry for German ). No RegEdit needed.

Attached Files:

• Pic.jpg
      Pic.jpg
      File size:
      154 KB
      Views:
  9. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

Interesting. I do note that Photos is the default program for JPEGs and PNGs in your screenshot, as KG indicates. Have you actually tried to change that to something else? Seems unlikely, but perhaps it'll fail. Otherwise, I may have to contact KG to request more info.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The only thing I've seen that's slightly different is that sometimes when you use the "Open With" option, Win10 has a new category labeled "featured in Windows 10" to draw attention to what MS considers to be the default app. Other than that, it's about exactly the same as its always been.

Looks like this

I haven't changed my default photo app from Photos to Irfanview like I usually do, but that's because I think the one that comes with the OS is finally decent enough to keep around.

From what I've seen, and I've seen a bunch by this point, it's almost exactly the same as any other version of Windows.

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Based on my experience as one who works in and relies on _both_ OS X and Windows, so far this thread and it's questionable title are full of erroneous information.

12. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Do you mean like when they removed the ‘Save As’ option from their menus?

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I somehow missed that part of his quote.

Open With is still in there. Same as always.

14. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

That’s going to delay my upgrade. I need to see how livid people become before I install it.

15. macenied, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

this thread make no sense. red alert and nothing related to the subject ( W7/8/8.1/10 ) really changed. just use windows as always. like it or not and it works without tweaking and editing the registry.

Ghazi should do some homework and correct his homepage.

16. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

Because there seemed to be some conflict WRT his original statement, I contacted KG and asked him if he would like to clarify what he meant. He was kind enough to respond the next day, and says he's happy for me to post his email in its entirety:
    I should add that it wasn't my intention to be controversial when I started this thread, I was simply genuinely interested to know how Mac users were finding the upgrade to Windows 10.

Personally, I only use Windows for certain pieces of software that are either non-existent on OS X or whose OS X-counterparts fall short of their Windows-based sibling's quality. To make the (very) infrequent Windows boots less painful, I try to configure the interface and UX to be less jarring a change from my everyday OS X one. For that I refer to KG's Tweak Guides. I also use his guides when configuring for security and performance, and in those regards have found them very helpful. When he made the statement I quote in my OP, I was justifiably concerned, and wanted to gather more info on the subject.

Hope that helps.