Windows 10 in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ZombieAndy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ZombieAndy macrumors newbie

ZombieAndy

Hi All

So anyone else having problems upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 in bootcamp?

I have a late 2009 iMac upgraded to 16gb of RAM and i had to use the microsoft media downloader to get windows 10 onto it as the get windows 10 app just would not work at all.

Now when i hit upgrade this computer now, it downloads windows 10 then tells me that my computer is not compatible! I'm pretty sure it is..

Here's the spec list for Windows 10:
    • Latest OS: Make sure that you are running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update. Don’t know which version you are running? Check here to find out. Need to download the latest version? Click here for Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
    • Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    And my iMac:

Processor: 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache
    RAM: 16gb DDR3 SDRAM
    HDD: around 100gb of free space on the windows partition
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

So as you can see, not underspec'd. Anyone else done this upgrade and found a way around these issues? Id rather upgrade and not do a full reinstall if possible too.

Thanks

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

If you right click the icon in your Windows 7 task bar there is an option to check your system for compatibility. The resulting display should indicate what it is that Windows 10 has issue with (hopefully).

3. LOLobo macrumors member

4. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Your iMac is running boot camp 4, which only supports windows 7. Think you need a newer Mac running boot camp 5 to run Win 10.

5. ZombieAndy thread starter macrumors newbie

ZombieAndy

DirtyHarry - Theres no icon, the get windows 10 app does not install.

LOLobo - Thats the tool i used to install it, it downloads but does not install, it just says its incompatible and does not tell me why.

Deadeyeshark - How can i find out what version of boot camp my mac is using and can i upgrade it? Cant really afford a new iMac lol

6. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I don't know why but the Get Windows 10 app install via Windows Update seems to be a random thing as to when it gets installed. It was late showing up on my own system and I wondered why I didn't have it when everyone else seemed to. Just yesterday it showed up in a small update by itself I think much to my surprise. Do you have Windows Update set to automatically download and install updates? I think that's the default anyway but maybe check that to make sure you pick it up? Otherwise, I don't know why it would not show up for you. Sorry, not able to be of more help there.

7. ZombieAndy thread starter macrumors newbie

ZombieAndy

I upgraded to bootcamp 5.1 and after running a bunch of other updates i finally got the windows 10 upgrade downloaded and moving, only to be told that my network card is not supported. Sigh.

So its a atheros ar928x wireless card, with the latest driver version already installed and windows 10 doesnt like it.

Has anyone else encountered this? is there another driver i can install to trick windows 10 into working?

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Reinstalling/repairing the Bootcamp drivers will probably make it work again.

9. ZombieAndy thread starter macrumors newbie

ZombieAndy

The card works.. im posting from this computer now.

Just when i try to upgrade to windows 10 i get this;
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. chrfr macrumors 603

There is a driver for Windows 8.1 for that card here:
    https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=7
    However, I don't know that you can install that driver in Windows 7.
    Have you tried to install Windows 10 while connected to the internet via an ethernet cable?
    That may allow the process to finish, then you can install the above driver and then disconnect ethernet.

11. ZombieAndy thread starter macrumors newbie

ZombieAndy

Thanks a lot for your advice guys, I managed to get it working :)