Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonhcl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Hi all,

2nd question of the day, I've tried to install Win10 on my 5,1 for the last few hours, everything seemed to run smoothly till I updated all drivers. Once reboot, it gets stuck at the "Preparing Automatic Repair" boot loop. The instance is installed on a stand along SSD. I've tried installing it via bootcamp, usb and DVD.

I've narrowed it down to the display driver. I'm able to boot normally once I uninstall the Nvidia driver. I've tried multiple source such as BootCamp 5.1.5621, and Nvidia's own website, but for some reason, instead of GT120, it kept installing the 9500GT driver then crash the windows.

Have anyone run into this issue? I've exhausted all options other than running it without proper driver for the video controller.

Thanks!!
Jon

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
So you have two GPUs inside? I've read that if you have a GT120 and, say a GTX 1080 or whatever, it will install a driver for the GT120 and break the driver for the other card.

It's discussed in this handy thread.

jonhcl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
So you have two GPUs inside? I've read that if you have a GT120 and, say a GTX 1080 or whatever, it will install a driver for the GT120 and break the driver for the other card.

It's discussed in this handy thread.

No, i only have GT120 installed. Right now, every time I tried to install the Nvidia driver, it will install 40% then crash and restart the window. SMH~

btw, thanks for the link, I'll go check it out!

jonhcl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
quick update, now the display driver shows GT120, however, it puts my 5,1 back to the "Preparing Automatic Repair" boot loop. the only way to get back to win10 is to go to safe mode, disable or uninstall the display driver, then the windows will boot normally with generic driver. However, the monitor does display 1080 correctly. btw, any attempts trying to install nvidia drivers still causes system crash then reboot.

I've tried the same under both Yosemite and High Sierra with the same result. Prob installed win10 8+ times via different methods with the same results.

Any helps' appreciated!!!

jonhcl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
alright, my last update, finally dug up an old 120gb sata legacy drive and installed the win10 pro on it, and it actually worked! no crash, no restart and display card controller showed the correct driver. I guess it was my fault trying to install the win10 on the pcie ssd and expected it to go smoothly. One thing I did notice, the sata driver shows up as Internal Drive while the Pcie ssd showed up as External, not sure if that made any difference.

I guess it was too much to ask the old mac pro to boot the apps at 1200 mb/s under windows. btw, it works perfectly with high sierra.

thanks for all the helps and i'm just glad this is resolved....for now.

719c6

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2018
Missouri
I have the same issue, Windows 10 and the GT120. As soon as the nvidia drivers loads, black screen. I reset back to basic display in safe mode and works that way. I have tried 6 driver versions, all same issue. Last night, I pulled all drives out, loaded 10 on a 320GB SATA drive without using bootcamp anything. As soon as Windows updates driver, black screen. I can't be the only one with this issue. BTW - same issue on 2 Mac Pros.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hi all,

2nd question of the day, I've tried to install Win10 on my 5,1 for the last few hours, everything seemed to run smoothly till I updated all drivers. Once reboot, it gets stuck at the "Preparing Automatic Repair" boot loop. The instance is installed on a stand along SSD. I've tried installing it via bootcamp, usb and DVD.

I've narrowed it down to the display driver. I'm able to boot normally once I uninstall the Nvidia driver. I've tried multiple source such as BootCamp 5.1.5621, and Nvidia's own website, but for some reason, instead of GT120, it kept installing the 9500GT driver then crash the windows.

Have anyone run into this issue? I've exhausted all options other than running it without proper driver for the video controller.

Thanks!!
Jon

I don't have the same setup on my 5,1 but I didn't have driver issues except for the HFS one supplied by Apple (I don't recall the name). I recommend on disabling this driver once you get your display driver resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.