Windows 10 & macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Wreckus, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I have a Mid 2014 MBP and I'm thinking of buying windows 10 to install via bootcamp. Main reason is that I'm going back to School to take a few accounting courses and I will probably need Windows for some software. I used to be a pro installing windows numerous times when I had a windows laptop. But since I had a MBP, I haven't tinkered with windows that much.

My main question is what is an ideal partition size for windows 10? Thinking of a 60GB partition, which will lead me with 100GB for OS X. Any other opinions would be great.

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Don't buy 10. Buy 8.1 and then upgrade for free. Like this you are buying two operating systems for the price of one. If 10 messes up you can use 8.1

3. Wreckus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

It's an idea but rather just buy a good windows 10 key and avoid doing any updates from 8.1

Thanks though.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

40-50 is needed for Windows + Office. If you install anything more than more is useful.
    Also open a admin CMD and type
    powercfg -h off
    after disabling hibernation feature everywhere in the powerplan details. Otherwise the hiberfil.sys file will take up some 8GB and you really don't need it.
    I don't know if Windows 10 is still so bad about disabling this feature and its space wasting. But in 8.1 and before you have to do all this to get truly rid of it.
    If you really just use it for Office and some compatibility, you are best of with just installing it in a VM and not doing a native install. The unnecessary files get removed automatically and virtual disk images can grow on demand so you only ever need as much space for Windows as you truly need, which would come out at something like 25GB.