Windows 10 not seing OS X Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Laai, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Laai macrumors regular

Hello.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but on my late 2015 iMac (256GB SSD) I installed Windows 10 and installed bootcamp drivers. On my old machine I knew than, once bootcamp is installed under windows, I am able to see and read files from Mac partition when booted into windows. This no longer seems to be the case. I can see Win partition from OS X and read files from it, but not the other way around. Any advice?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Third party drivers?
    Don't know the latest changes, because I always use third party software to get r/w ability.

3. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Are you using FileVault on your OSX partition? If you are, you won't see it through Bootcamp.

I always thought you needed something like MacDrive to see OSX partitions through a Bootcamp partition, unless you were virtualising it in OSX (using VMware or similar)

4. Laai thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to see if I can get this native functionality, as I've had bad experience with third party drivers in the past. If I do have to use some however, do you have any recommendations?

Filevault is off. MacDrive is something along the lines of @Shirasaki 's post?

5. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I use paragon HFS and it runs very happily on my machine, with SIP enabled.
    MacDrive is also a third party driver to allow Windows user read and write Mac format partition, like HFS+. Unlike paragon one, MacDrive provides more functions than paragon, including error fix, format to HFS function, etc.
    However I have seen users reporting paragon software may damage user data, although I didn't notice this before. I don't see such reports on MacDrive, though. But, MacDrive is much more expensive than paragon one.

6. ghislain macrumors member

In windows, open drive management located in Administration tools. You should see your drives and partitions. If your macos partition is not labeled as such (that I suspect to be the case), right click on this unlabeled partition and choose "add a letter". Accept the letter that is proposed and ,when it is done, you should now see your macos partition under windows...

7. chrfr macrumors 604

The problem is that Apple has moved to a formatting model called CoreStorage. Bootcamp doesn't include a driver that allows access to Mac volumes on CoreStorage drives but apparently Macdrive does work. Paragon HFS+ does not. Macdrive offers a free 5 day trial.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I can see it under Windows, with BootCamp 6 and its driver installed. But yeah, if FileVault is on, then Windows cannot see that Mac partition.
    And paragon HFS+ can see Mac partition files if FileVault is off.

9. chrfr macrumors 604

Paragon's own product pages state that they don't support CoreStorage volumes; a CoreStorage volume isn't created on every computer, but is created on some by default. Consequently, there are some cases where Apple's HFS driver and Paragon HFS+ will work, and other cases where they won't.
    The OP's 2015 iMac is a computer that by default has a CoreStorage volume whether or not it's using FileVault.

10. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Oh.
    Yeah. Some drives like fusion drives, are formatted as CoreStorage by default.
    My MacBook Air however, is not formatted as CoreStorage.

11. chrfr macrumors 604

That's surprising- the Macbook Air, at least 2011 and newer, are ones where the drive will be formatted as CoreStorage by default. This 2012 on which I'm writing has a CoreStorage formatted disk, but not a FileVault or Fusion Drive.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I asked support from paragon, wondering if it was possible to display FileVault enabled Mac drive, when they explain this, they use "CoreStorage". So I thought CoreStorage was related to FileVault.

13. chrfr macrumors 604

CoreStorage is the required underlying structure for FileVault, Fusion Drives, and Bootcamp support in drives that are larger than 2.2TB. So it is related, but it's also possible to put a standard HFS+, non-encrypted volume on a CoreStorage disk.

14. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Don't know what is the underlying structure of paragon drivers. But as I understand, CoreStorage may be related to extended partition or so? Like the extended partition under MBR. Some posts saying how to revert CoreStorage back to something mention something like GUID.
    And there are other posts saying Apple provides preliminary EFI support.

15. Laai thread starter macrumors regular

So is there any way to disable CoreStorage? Like said, I only have 256GB SSD and thats it (I do not use FileVault).

16. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

In my case, if you do a full backup of your machine, time machine, and format the whole disk, then partition, then port backup back, you may be good to go.
    There should be some commands to help you out without doing such. I don't remember the detailed info however. :(

17. Laai thread starter macrumors regular

I can't find "Drive management" but I found "Disk Management" in "Computer Management". Is this what you mean? Here, I can see my OS X partition, without a name or a letter, but I don't know where I can add a letter to the partition... Rightclick only offers to delete it...

18. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Yeah, you are in the right place. But this is a little bit weird.

Probably, you need to reinstall the whole BootCamp thing under your Mac to see if you can get any option, including assigning drive letter.

19. doynton macrumors 6502

Yes you can revert core storage back to HFS+ very quickly and easily from terminal in OSX. It was introduced as a default in Yosemite even if you don't use Filevault. If you do change it back your HFS drivers (Apple, paragon etc) will work as normal.

See here https://awesometoast.com/yosemite-core-storage-and-partition-woes/

20. ghislain macrumors member

OK, it is disk management (sorry, I am french). If right click only offer you to delete the partition and all other options such as "modify the letter" are not available, I don't see what else is wrong. Sorry...

21. chrfr macrumors 604

If you do anything with partitions inside of Windows, you will almost certainly cause the loss of Mac data, so don't do anything there.
    Macdrive is not inexpensive but should allow access to your Mac files from Windows without changing anything in OS X. If nothing else, you can install the free trial to see if it will work for you.
    http://www.mediafour.com/software/macdrive/

22. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

If we change partition table structure, we will lose the ability to boot to Mac OS X. Instead, we will only be able to boot to Windows. I have done this once and this is the only consequence I can see.
    If you can manage to access that Mac partition, it is still possible to recover data from that partition.

23. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Same here. I installed W8.1 with Bootcamp in my mid 2014 mbp and I can see the Mac partition from Windows. I didn't install any third party apps. Just the Bootcamp 6 drivers.

24. Laai thread starter macrumors regular

Well, too late. I already did try to do something in windows and ended being unable to boot to OS X. I reinstalled both windows and os x :(
    But hey, TimeMachine is a blessing, so everything went back to like 2h before the **** went down. Windows took about 10 minutes to install (yay new fast SSD) and now I can see the OS X partition under windows, so everything is fine (albeit the complete reinstall).

It did do 1 good thing however: the new bootcamp "forgot" to delete the 8GB partition after installing windows the first time, so I was left with 8GB of empty space on a partition I could not use nor format. Now, after the complete reinstall of both OS system, everything is fine. That terminal CoreStorage command helped tho ^^

25. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

All right. Even this is too late, if you are satisfied with the result, that would be great. :)