Windows 10 on 2008 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hartleymartin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I'm thinking of dual-booting Windows 10 on my 2008 Mac Pro - primarily so that I can play games. I know that Windows 7 works on the older Mac Pros, but does Window 10 work?

2. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have the same setup and when I am in windows, it offers the free upgrade from windows 7 to 10, but when I try to download the upgrade it never actually does.
    I did download an iso image of win 10 on my own but I have no idea how to install it using bootcamp like I did with windows 7.
    You might want to try to download the iso of windows 10 before the free upgrade deadline and then try to figure out how to get it working on the mac pro.

3. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Boot Camp talks about the installation of Windows 7, but does not mention Windows 8 or 10. I might see if I can acquire a Windows 7 Installer and License key, since I will only use it for some old games. It is too late now to get Win7 and a free upgrade to 10.

4. hfg, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If you are upgrading an existing Windows 7 or 8 installation in a cMacPro and are having troubles ... you might try removing all disks except your Windows drive and trying the upgrade again. Once it completes, you can reinstall your removed drives.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

I had a 2008 MacPro up until a few months ago. I ran windows 10 very well, most of the drivers I found online.