Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 5,1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fendersrule, May 18, 2017.

1. fendersrule macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been answered many times. I tried searching, but I just got lost. Perhaps a sticky may be good?

I have an internal SSD Evo 850 250GB drive that I want to use for Windows 10. I have a Windows 10 .ISO.

I have an internal 500GB PCIe SSD that I will be using as Mac OS (which I will be using 90% of the time).

What is the process of loading Windows 10 on my 250GB drive?

I understand that there's an EFI method vs a Bios method. Not sure of the differences.

I currently have an Apple 5770, but I'm sure I'll be moving onto a GTX 680 or better in the future.

Is there any step-by-step processes that would work best for me? Any shortcomings that I should be aware of?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

• Insert the Windows disc and reboot.
    • Hold ALT/OPTION during bootup.
    • Select "Windows" for BIOS install or "EFI" for EFI install. Personally I did EFI.
    • Direct Windows to install to the appropriate drive. Personally I had already removed all other drives prior to installation, in order to prevent an accident.

3. fendersrule thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, so somehow I need to take this windows iso and convert it into a bootable disk in MacOS. Any ideas? Maybe just let Toast do it's thing as an image file....

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

In Toast do a "Copy Disc" and "Select from Image File".

In Windows you can use the free "Media Creation Tool".

5. fendersrule, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

fendersrule thread starter macrumors regular

Mango, I have an older version of Toast. (Toast 8 Titanium).

I did Copy -> Image File, and just dragged over the Windows .ISO.

Upon booting (option key held down), I only get one image named "WINDOWS". No EFI in sight. I didn't pull anything out of the machine yet, just wanted to test to make sure the EFI image is showing up.

I'm assuming I should see two things, one that denotes an EFI and the other that denotes a BIOS.

I didn't proceed because of that. Let me know what you think.

Also, is there any way I should prep my SSD that I will be using in Disk Utility before beginning?

6. fendersrule thread starter macrumors regular

Got it working by following a guide to image a USB drive.