Windows 10 on Boot Camp - Frequent Reboots

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ascender, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

Any ideas about this strange one with a 2016 MBP.

When going to setup Windows 10 via the Boot Camp assistant, I was told there were disk errors which needed fixed before it could be partitioned. Those errors could only be fixed by booting in to Recovery Mode, running Disk Utility within MacOS wouldn't work. I had to do this a couple of times before Boot Camp would install.

Having got Windows 10 installed, we set it up to run a program which has been perfectly stable on an identical build of Win10 on a PC. However, after a while, it would start to reboot at totally random times.

On checking the event log, there's critical events in there relating to Power and also the HDD. Google isn't proving to be much help as there's tales of Win10 rebooting randomly going back a couple of years and some of the error numbers and messages are quite generic and seem to bring up lots of different suggestions as to what's wrong.

I'm wondering though if the HDD messages in Event Viewer are linked to the macOS errors about the disk and that Win10 isn't as stable as macOS, hence the reboots whereas macOS is able to deal with whatever issues are going on.

Has anyone seen anything similar? Short of taking it in to Apple, any ideas what else to check?

Thanks!

2. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

I just posted a similar issue (it got moved here and I found your post). So at least we are not alone. Are you running Windows 10 1703? Are you using the laptop in clamshell mode?

I just changed my power plan to not put the hard drive to sleep and turned off PCI Express Link State Power Management. I just tried this, so I cannot confirm if it helps or not.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

ascender

I'm not using the laptop in clamshell mode, would need to check the version but its the most up to date in terms of patches etc. 1703 rings a bell.

I specifically had the hard drive not to go to sleep and same for the display due to the function it was performing, but hadn't done anything more than that yet as it started exhibiting the behaviour (apparently) out of the blue. I hadn't changed anything and to the best of my knowledge there were no updates installed, although that's always a bit hard to tell with Win10.

4. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

I am still getting restarts. Does it completely lock up for you (unable to move your mouse) for about 30 seconds before the restart?

It seems to only happen when I leave mine locked for a lengthy amount of time, is it similar for you?

Does anyone have any ideas for the both of us?

5. ascender thread starter macrumors 68020

ascender

No, I don't get lock ups, just an immediate reboot. Mine was also set to not lock the screen, or put it to sleep, along with the HDD due to how I was using it.