Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrmullad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
hi all I want to move everything from old iMac to new iMac with migration assistant but I also have Windows 10 on it but NOT in bootcamp is there any way to transfer it to new iMac apart from reinstalling it ? IE is it possible to install new clean Windows 10 then transfer files if so could someone explain in easy steps to an old man.
Thanks in advance Dell

Mrmullad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
Not sure what you mean
But some things I do only on windows

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only thing I know of is, to use winclone.

honestly, I think your best bet is to just reinstall

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How are you running Windows 10, if not in Bootcamp? I have to assume you're using virtualization, like Parallels. When you migrate to the new iMac, all of that will move over automatically. You should not have to do anything.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
How are you running Windows 10, if not in Bootcamp? I have to assume you're using virtualization, like Parallels. When you migrate to the new iMac, all of that will move over automatically. You should not have to do anything.

That's exactly what I was going to ask.

OP: VMs are just files, and like your other user resources, they'll be moved over (along with the related virtualization app, i.e., Parallels, VMWare, VBox ...) You can just copy VM files around to different drives, other computers, etc., and they're totally self-contained which is one of the nice side perks!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Not sure what you mean
But some things I do only on windows

It was a joke....hence the wink.

When I retired I was running Win 8 beta. The next day I purchased Macs and we have not looked back since. Any of the old Word, Powerpoint or Excel files from work that I had to open later....I did so with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers without any problem.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm running windows without bootcamp, I basically installed Windows on my entire SSD for my iMac.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
I'm running windows without bootcamp, I basically installed Windows on my entire SSD for my iMac.
So you don't have OS X installed at all? If that is the case migration assistant won't do you any good since that is an OS X application to migrate OS X. I'm having hard time trying to figure out what you are trying to do. Typically Windows is installed either using Bootcamp, or Virtualization.

If you have done something else than you will need to figure out your own migration path as you've done something that isn't really supported or the norm. I assume you could use any Windows migration tools though, as it sounds like you just turned your iMac into a PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So you don't have OS X installed at all?
I have OS X on an external SSD.

I have an iMac that is configured with a 2TB Fusion drive, that means I have a 128GB SSD, and 2TB spinning hard drive. I installed Windows on the 128GB SSD, OSX on an external SSD (500GB), and I split up the spinning hard drive to be used for data for both windows and OS X.

I assume you could use any Windows migration tools though, as it sounds like you just turned your iMac into a PC.
I can't speak for the OP, but in my case, I have my iMac configured in such a way that its easy for me to backup my data (much of it, is in OneDrive anyways), and so to reinstall the OS is not a huge hassle for me.

The OP isn't clear in exactly what he did, but I think sometimes, just reinstalling is a better approach for a variety of reasons.

Mrmullad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
I am running OS X and Windows on same hard drive I select at boot Windows 10 in EFI on a 2009 iMac according to all I read it can't be done but it works fine but I am about to update to a new iMac.
Dell

Mrmullad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
Mainly the Mercedes workshop manual as far as I can find it will only run on Windows (WIS ASRA)

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
To get back to your original question — how to migrate your Windows install from one machine to another. (Mac or not and BootCamp or not honestly makes 0 difference here, guys. Not sure why you're overloading OP with irrelevant information.)

My advice would be to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on your new machine. Then use either the Windows Backup and Restore feature OR if you're more into the command line the User State Migration Tool (USMT) to migrate your user data and applications. Google either of those utilities to find the Microsoft TechNet articles for more info and how-to. Both are M$ approved methods for migration.

Simply cloning the existing Windows install may result in unexpected issues unless you properly Sysprep it first. IMO you're better off doing a fresh install and then migrating data and apps.

With that question answered, I'll say: there are probably more efficient ways to access Mercedes manuals — virtualization, CrossOver, or demanding a PDF copy. But that's not what OP asked. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrmullad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.