Windows 10 on older mac.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kaiju_wars, Feb 19, 2016.

1. kaiju_wars macrumors member

kaiju_wars

Sorry, I'm new here... I've been looking around the web and I'm finding some answers... but not much has come up.

I got a great deal on Office 2016 for Mac through my university, I then got a free copy of Windows 10 with it.

I'm trying to dual boot Windows 10 and OS X on my 2010 MacBook. I know I can't use BootCamp and rEFIt is no longer supported. I downloaded rEFInd and it said that SIP was active, so it couldn't install. I found a guide online to disable it to get rEFInd to install, but when I typed the command in terminal, it said no such command existed.

Does anyone have any information that could help me fix this issue and get my laptop dual-booting?

2. BentTable123 macrumors member

You should be able to bootcamp. Here is what I did over the years with a 2009 macbook (non-pro).

1) Use bootcamp to install windows xp (supported by apple).
    2) Upgrade within windows XP to windows 7 64 bit (not supported but bootcamp 4 drivers work).
    3) Upgrade within windows 7 to Windows 8.1 64 bit, using bootcamp support software 5.1.5621 (not supported but works). See link below.
    4) Upgrade within windows 8.1 to Windows 10 64 bit, using bootcamp support software 5.1.5621 (not supported but works). See link below. Everything works including the drivers.

You should be able to do the same thing, but you need to install windows XP or 7 first in order for bootcamp to allow you to partition the drive. You don't need a key though since you have a windows 10 full license, so just get an iso for windows XP, vista, or 7 and install that first. Upgrade to windows 10 - You can do an in place upgrade that is a clean install.

Link for drivers: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?locale=en_US

Link for installing those drivers on unsupported macs: http://blog.iphoting.com/blog/archives/830-Boot-Camp-on-Older-Intel-based-Macs.html

3. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

Alright, thank you. I'll give it a try tonight.

4. kaiju_wars, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

Okay, so after several workarounds. Windows 7 even fought me on getting on this damn Mac! Didn't have any trouble with Windows 8.1 on my Mac Mini, but this MacBook wanted to fight to the death.

Anywoozle, I finally got Windows 7 on there, then I got drivers on there.
    I tried to get the Windows 10 upgrade tool and "force the upgrade." Got stuck on checking for updates.
    Tried installing using the upgrade ISO and disabling "check for updates." Windows 7 doesn't support mounting of ISOs without a third-party application.
    I downloaded Virtual Disk Manager...(or whatever it's called) couldn't mount the ISO.
    I even went and downloaded the disk mounter that is BUILT BY MICROSOFT!
    Didn't freaking work.

So It's refusing to upgrade, I gave up on that.
    Haven't had this much trouble with Windows and BootCamp on the Mac Mini, and never had any trouble at all with building my own PC.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    So does anyone know how Parallels will run on this?

Specs of my MacBook

2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    nVidia GeForce 320M
    8 GBs RAM
    240 GB SSD

To clarify why I gave up... I got frustrated with the upgrade, and I was taking a break for awhile.
    I somehow accidentally deleted my boot camp partition which is why I did give up on it. Hell if I know how I did that.

Anyways, I only need Windows for certain things in school, and I don't want to put it and carry around 2 laptops.

5. BentTable123 macrumors member

Hmm, I'm not sure what mount ISO means. You had windows 7 installed. You should be able to upgrade to windows 10 without needing the CD drive. Download the installer and do a clean install or upgrade.

6. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

I tried, it kept getting stuck. There were a couple of solutions to try and get it to work, but one didn't make sense. Why would I disconnect from the internet when I need the internet to download Windows 10?

Second solution I couldn't try because Macs don't have a BIOS.

So damn there.

ISO, it's a disk image if you will. When you mount the ISO, your computer acts like there is a disk in the disk drive. For example, if I were to mount a snow leopard ISO on my MacBook, it acts like I stuck a 10.6 install DVD in the disk drive.

That's what I mean by mount the ISO.

So as for another workaround, do you know how Parallels will handle on my laptop?

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Have you tried making a bootable flash drive/external disk of Windows 10? I use Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Windows 10 is sometimes a giant PITA to install. I've installed it on several computers and they've all had different results. The minimum requirement for Windows 10 is supposed to be a 2012 and and later MBP, but I have it running perfectly on a 2011 MBP.

VMware is currently the fastest virtualization available, but it should work fine in Parallels on your machine with your RAM and SSD.

8. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

I have. It's almost as if... something... is blocking Windows from upgrading. I shouldn't have to do a clean install since it was a fresh install.

No matter which way I try to upgrade, everything is going great... until you get to the part during the upgrade process where Windows checks for upgrades... then nothing. It gets stuck. It's in a loop.

9. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yeah I've had it do that on multiple machines. It can take forever. I would maybe let it sit overnight ... that's what I had to do. This is a sloppy upgrade process and Microsoft did a really piss-poor job with it. There's another issue that doesn't even allow you to install if your secondary Windows partition is not large enough, which then requires expanding that partition with a third-party tool. Had to do that as well. You'd think Microsoft would do this all for you.

10. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

The problem is with any other machine I've had to upgrade to Windows 10... (which I don't even want to start counting) and it took a couple hours at the most. Then on to actually installing Windows 10.

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I had one still going after sitting all night and halfway through the next day it finally began the install. I would honestly just let it sit for a day and see if it does anything. There's really not much else that can be done the updater is extremely buggy.

12. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

I'll probably try again tonight, let it sit overnight and tomorrow while I do things.

13. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

Eh, it didn't. Oh well. I'm going to just download a trial version of Parallels and see how it works.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

15. kaiju_wars thread starter macrumors member

kaiju_wars

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for all the help though. Sucks it didn't work. I'm thinking it's something on Microsoft's side, but I have only a limited time to use this Windows 10 product key before it's no longer able to be activated, so I can't wait to test that theory out.