Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
Hey guys,

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 on my rImac (late 2014 27" retina) and that went OK. However, I think the drivers got messed up somewhere along the way.

I tried to use bootcamp in El Cap to make a USB key that I could use to reinstall the drivers, but for whatever reason, my USB key will not show up (I've used it before for just this purpose. I've tried my other one, too, without success).

Is there a direct download link I can use, and can I do this in Windows? I can manage to navigate in Windows 10 well enough to download and install drivers if I can find a direct link for what I need.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
format your USB to FAT in disk utility

then you shoudl be able to load things onto it.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
If neither windows or OSX can see the USB drive than i have to believe it's dead..

You can download the bootcamp drivers manually through apple's site, but navigating and figuring out which is the latest is a hassle since there are so many different models and versions depending on your native OSX computer.

FYI i also have rimac and successfully upgraded from w7 -->w10 but had to reload the bootcamp drivers too.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
The USB drive isn't dead, as I can see it on the desktop. Also, I have 3 of them, and they all act the same. Any other ideas, or links?

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
what? can you be more clear then?

you cannot see the USB drive when you mount it in Windows? But you see it in OSX?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
If you can see them in OSX then just go to the macnintosh drive in and explorer window and grab the drivers that you need.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
So I can see the USB key in OSX. I can format it FAT in Disk Utility. I can also see it in Windows 10, but it says it is empty when I manually copy the drivers. It is not "seen" if I try to download the Windows Support software using Bootcamp.

I did a chat session with Apple last night, and they pointed me to a link for a direct download, but if I check their chart, it specifies that I need to use the bootcamp utility to download the drivers for the retina imac, that there isn't a direct download.

I am stumped. I have some Bluetooth functionality because my magic mouse and BT keyboard are seen, but the scroll doesn't work, for one thing.

I had to use the dongle to get my MX Master Logitech mouse working, as the Bluetooth (which works fine in El Cap) isn't working right in Windows 10.

If anyone has the drivers or a link so I can download what I need to run in Windows 10 I'd be most grateful. This is frustrating!

Feenix

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2015
Hi all. Similar issue but not same. I got Windows 10 installed on riMac (R9M295x) and almost everything seemed to go fine. The remaining issues I have are 1 big and 1 little.

The little one is that The AppleKeyboardSetup64.exe didn't seem to find a valid driver/install and so I don't have keyboard volume control and brightness control, etc...

The big issue is that Windows Update says I have an AMD Driver update (because it didn't install *any*) and it always fails to install via the driver. So I don't have any kind of AMD/Catalyst drivers at all.

Any ideas?

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
Hi all. Similar issue but not same. I got Windows 10 installed on riMac (R9M295x) and almost everything seemed to go fine. The remaining issues I have are 1 big and 1 little.

The little one is that The AppleKeyboardSetup64.exe didn't seem to find a valid driver/install and so I don't have keyboard volume control and brightness control, etc...

The big issue is that Windows Update says I have an AMD Driver update (because it didn't install *any*) and it always fails to install via the driver. So I don't have any kind of AMD/Catalyst drivers at all.

Any ideas?

Those are issues I have as well. I think it'd be solved if I could simply reinstall the drivers, but I cannot do so. No matter what I've tried, it seems the only way to get the drivers is via bootcamp on the Mac side, but so far, I've been unable, with 3 different USB keys. I'm totally stumped.

If ANYONE with a late 2014 retina imac can download the drivers for windows 8.1 (which I believe are the latest ones out there) and put them up in a dropbox or something, I'd be eternally grateful. I think this is the only way I'll be able to proceed, and solve my problems here.

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
I checked with Apple-they said reinstalling the drivers using the USB key that bootcamp utility can make is the thing you need to do. Unfortunately, mine will NOT create the USB key, no matter what I've tried.

I've asked for help-I'd need someone to download the drivers to make the USB key, and then provide a download link (dropbox, or something like that)

If anyone can do this, it'd be a huge help, and greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.