Windows 10 price and release date

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by JamesMike, May 31, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The only people that are going to have to pay for the update are those still running XP or those needing a license for multiple computers (small business). If you have a PC newer than say 2011 and running Win7 or newer, then it is a free update. At least that is what I read???

3. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

My desktop is running Vista and is older than 2011. Laptop is only two years old.

4. khha4113 macrumors regular

khha4113

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The July 29th date has been leaked previously. Paul Thurrott had mentioned it on his podcast (windows weekly) a few times. It appears windows 10 rollout will be staged, insofar as the mobile flavor will not be out in July.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Or those that build a new computer.

7. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Did you guys find the popup notification saying of free upgrade? People on cnet are mentioning about the notification.
    I didn't see this on my 7 or 8 machines, perhaps it's because I'm running Enterprise version.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont see any popup or a notification on the task bar.

9. khha4113 macrumors regular

khha4113

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-upgrading-to-windows-10/

10. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

the popup is showing on my pc with windows 7 ultimate at home, but not showing up on windows 7 pro at work (interesting because I thought only the enterprise editions werent getting the upgrade- perhaps WSUS isnt letting it through, who knows?)

11. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Check your Win Update at work to see if it's managed by admin. I use a WSUS server for our network, I haven't seen the option for allowing Windows 10 updates. Yours is probably set to a local WSUS.

Not sure if the pop up will even show up on non domain /non wsus managed enterprise version.

12. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Yea, managed by admin. Haven't checked for windows 10 updates in wsus server config yet, that would explain it probably.

From what I understood it was just the enterprise build that wouldn't get 10 for free across the board. Nothing to do with business use or wsus. So confusing :p

13. mclld macrumors 68000

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I got it now. My Laptop got an update and then it showed up.

15. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

i only wonder how well it works with laptops. i mean those special drivers!

16. happycadaver macrumors regular

happycadaver

I thought that the notification is sent to a limited number of users, not to everybody who is running Windows 7 or 8. But i could be wrong.
    Personally, i don't have a PC with Windows anymore and i deleted my Bootcamp partition months ago.

17. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Enterprise users will have to wait until their IT people update their Enterprise managed computers. If they let people upgrade on their own it would be chaos! Then they would be complaining their apps wouldn't work and how to do this and how do you do that. It would be an IT support nightmare! :)

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Wonder if it will be available earlier to MSDN subscribers

19. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I'm the IT, that's why gotluck and I go back and forth discussing WSUS and winupdate. Mine's Enterprise version, so it doesn't get the reserve notice. It's not showing up in my WSUS catalog yet. Yeah, we know what we're doing on OS upgrade, you're preaching to the choir here. :D

It just might for the enterprise version, since they usually came later. I see the preview versions on my MSDN account.

20. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I believe the way it works is that after the latest windows update, it will start showing up. Similar to the way Win 8.1 upgrade would prompt you only after the update is installed. For those asking why, Paul Thorrot thinks it's to pre-load Windows before the launch like you would pre-order a game and pre-load these days in order to avoid the Day 1 server crush. Link below.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...ade?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

21. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It's a free upgrade for what, a year after RTM? I have no desire to upgrade to it, they fubared too many things I love about Win8. But hopefully they fix some of those things while it's free.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my company is paying for a volume license anyway, and I really don't want to mess up the IT guys.