Windows 10 upgrade, will it screw with bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MartinAppleGuy, Jul 27, 2015.

1. MartinAppleGuy, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

i already have Windows 8.1 installed via bootcamp on my iMac. My question is, has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 from a previous version through bootcamp? Will it screw with my partitions? Or is it as easy as upgrading OS X?

If anyone knows or has experience in upgrading to Win 10 via bootcamp, please tell me how it went of you :)

Is it like a normal Windows 8 update where it just restarts? I'm hoping I don't have to use Mac OS and Bootcamp assistant to upgrade, is it just a normal update styled upgrade?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have no practical experience with Windows 10 specifically but in theory it should not be any problem. The boot up process is the same and unchanged in Windows 10. Once the UEFI hands of to Windows it does not care whether it calls itself 8.1 or 10. It should just update and reboot into Windows 10.
    If there was any issue it would be very very strange.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I upgraded Windows 7 to 8.1, and the only things I needed to do were reinstall the Boot Camp support software and upgrade my GPU drivers. I have to believe 8.1 to 10 will be the same way.

4. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

If you already have window running it might be easier to update to windows 10 from 8.1, which has been working without any issues. But I also didn't have any issues with a clean install from boot camp either.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Updates fine. After install you need to run Bootcamp Drivers again as some of them will be disabled.

6. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks everyone :) A few more questions for you all sorry haha

Will it have downloaded the upgrade for the 29th? Or will it start the download then?

And when exactly can I upgrade? Some say 29th and others say Tuesday (which is the 28th).

7. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Upgrades will be rolling out depending on your hardware, region, and the apps you use. Many people will not see the update immediately. That's good because if you get the update later there could be a more stable version.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you run the upgrade within win10 (which is the normal process), then I think bootcamp will be fine. If you're looking for a clean install then things probably get a little messier.