Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doodledaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Has anyone had any joy in getting a Windows 10 client to VPN into a Mac Server? I have the Windows 10 PC connecting and authenticating. I can ping the server but when I try to map a network drive I get a username and password box pop up. I enter the details that work on a Mac Client but no joy.

I have Mac clients connecting via VPN and accessing the shares fine - but can't get the Windows client to join the shares.

I have smb selected in file sharing.

Any help appreciated. Cheers

doodledaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I had the same issue with Windows 8.1, and after perusing multiple forums, a change to the registry settings is what ultimately worked for me. After a clean install of Windows 10, the same thing was required. Here's the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/926179

Hi seismick, thank you - I have applied that registry edit and it does allow the VPN connection through to the Mac Server. However I can't seem to connect onto the shares - any tips on how you did that? Cheers

seismick

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
The settings on your Windows 10 VPN adapter are finicky - here are mine (control panel -> network connections -> [right click on your VPN icon, click properties]:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 5.30.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 5.30.30 AM.png

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just a note, once the VPN connection is successfully established you are going to have to manually map the shares using the local IPs rather than the public IP.

doodledaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Altemose - thanks for this. Yes I can ping the server with the local ip address from the PC once I have made the VPN connection, and when I go to map the share a windows dialog asked for the username and password. I use those that work for the Mac when I VPN in but the dialog just pops back again. Any thoughts? Cheers

seismick

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
FWIW, I had a similar issue following an automatic upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10, where I was able to ping my server (and other macs) but they would not populate in the "Network" folder of windows explorer. I could attempt to log in to each machine by typing the full path, but then would be repeatedly asked for credentials and could not successfully authenticate. A clean install fixed it (with the registry tweaks that I passed along before). Your situation may be different...

josephms

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2017
Has anyone had any joy in getting a Windows 10 client to VPN into a Mac Server? I have the Windows 10 PC connecting and authenticating. I can ping the server but when I try to map a network drive I get a username and password box pop up. I enter the details that work on a Mac Client but no joy.

I have Mac clients connecting via VPN and accessing the shares fine - but can't get the Windows client to join the shares.

I have smb selected in file sharing.

Any help appreciated. Cheers

Hello...i have the same issue...anyone did something that worked? Please give me a reply is urgent.
Thanks in advance

rhythmologist

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2017
Hello...i have the same issue...anyone did something that worked? Please give me a reply is urgent.
Thanks in advance

Hello I know it's been a few months since this post was active but I have some insight into the issue you're having with not being able to authenticate using your OD credentials after successfully connecting using VPN from a Win 10 machine.

In my experience this usually occurs when the machine is running a non Windows 10 "Pro" version like "Home" or something similar. I've heard it's possible to directly modify some registry keys to get around this issue. I tried and didn't have much luck getting anywhere when I attempted it. That said, I've found an easier approach that works just as well. For some reason Windows 10 Home blocks the type of authentication used by OD (Open Directory) used on a mac server by default. They way to circumvent this situation is to use local directory login credentials on the server to authenticate to the share instead, like "admin". Or, you can create new "sharing only" local directory users from Server.app or from System Preferences on the Mac server that's hosting the shares and OD domain.

Just make sure that if you're doing this from the Server App to make sure you've selected the correct account type in the drop down at the top. It must say, "Local Directory" not "Local Network Directory". And then, in the section where it asks about the location of the home folder choose, "None - Services Only". That way you won't see these new accounts show up on the login screen on the server in question.

I hope this helps. It did in my situation where one of my clients had a mac mini server and a bunch of Windows 10 clients accessing the shares daily.

rhythmologist

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2017
There are modifications that must be made to the Windows Registry to get VPN properly working to macOS Server.

I mentioned that in my above post but I've never had any luck getting that method to work. Do you have any specifics that would help? I tired added the recommended registry key, rebooted and it just wouldn't work as indicated. This is why I used the above workaround. Anything useful you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rhythmologist

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I mentioned that in my above post but I've never had any luck getting that method to work. Do you have any specifics that would help? I tired added the recommended registry key, rebooted and it just wouldn't work as indicated. This is why I used the above workaround. Anything useful you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rhythmologist

As far as I know, Windows will only work when using L2TP with IPsec. I created a registry settings file that fixes the issue, but I am not near a Windows PC right now to tell you exactly what I did. Therefore, tomorrow I will get you that info and see what exactly must be done to get it working...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.